I am curious if anyone knows of any resources out there that can help me learn how to use my edge binders. I am trying to teach myself, but that is only getting me so far. I'm hoping to learn how to use an edge binder to conceal interior seams, as well as raw exterior edges. I have a number of binding attachments, but I am not sure that I am capable of figuring out how to use them to their fullest. Anything from videos, to websites or youtube links would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. On what machine are you going to install the edge binders?
  2. What type of binders do you intend to use (single fold, double fold, straight on, or right angle)?
  3. What type of material and thickness will the edging be?
  4. Do you have a proper feed dog and matching throat plate that holds each binder, or do they just screw onto the bed of the machine and use the standard feed dog and plate?

I have tried using a screw on binder with my Consew 206RB, but haven't been too pleased with the results. It is a double fold straight on seam binder. I also have some custom Dan Ray binder attachments for my Durkopp Adler 269-373 that each have their own throat plate and presser foot. I'd like to use grosgrain webbing or similar to bind interior seams. I have some 1" leather binding that I have yet to use.

Back in the day, I sewed for a gentleman who produced safety vests for Police and various road workers. The material was honeycombed vinyl and had to be covered along the exposed edges. The machine was a Juki LU-563. I tried using over the counter screw on binders with varied results, which didn't track properly around curves. Eventually, we had a custom right angle binder hand made through our industrial sewing machine dealer. It fed 1.25" tape from big spools and double folded it as I sewed. The right angle ensured correct placement on inside curves, like arm holes. That binder never failed us and was worth every dollar paid to have it custom built.