mpluc1

Installing Metal Belt Tip

Hi everyone! I am trying to figure out how to install a metal belt tip from a three piece buckle set. It has two holes on the back side and comes with one short screw. I was told to apply glue to the tip of the belt, slide the metal belt tip on, screw into place and let dry. When I inquired about the two holes in the back, I was told that the other hole is there to allow excess glue to come out of. The first time I tried to follow these instructions, it failed miserably. Is there some special technique I need to try? Any tips (no pun intended, lol) are appreciated.

THANKS!

I don't glue em (nor do I have a "breather hole"!). I make the belt to a thickness that will "just" slide into the tip-- all the WAY in. Mark through the holes in the back with a scratch awl (or similar tool), remove the belt, punch small holes where the marks are (like maybe #00 holes, or whatever is just under the size of your screws), put the tip back on, and twist the screws (TWO of em) into the holes in the leather. Try to pull it off, you'd destroy the tip before the leather came out ...

Sorry, not seeing where I have a picture of the back side of one ...

I don't normally glue them either, some come with a threaded hole and a smooth hole, if you bought them from Tandy that is probably the case, the rear one is normally the one with the threads. I make sure the end is trimmed to fit very snuggly like JLS said, mark the hole, I normally use a scratch awl to start the hole then slide it on and install the screw or screws.

Chief

I do the same a Chief and JLS, I have never had one come off. Doing with just the screws you don't have to worry about glue squeeze out onto your belt. Tandy has bags of 10 belt tip screws . I always keep a bag or two around because of my nimble fingers. THe belt tip in the picture is just screwed in place, I do put a little loc-tite on the threads. The tip is solid and is not going to come off.

post-15001-0-60507600-1432149915_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge