HC009

Sunken Stitches.

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem at the moment trying to figure out how to create a sunken hole on the back side of 2.25mm leather so that when I do a stitch on the top side, the back can be tied neatly and the knot sink into the hole thus leaving a flush surface on the back. Does anyone have a solution apart from using a stitch groover which doesn't work? I think I need some sort of embossing stamp as when I have tried to either cut a hole with a clicking knife or hammered with a sharp tool it always shows through the other side of leather. Any help would be much appreciated.

I seldom tie anything off, I just back stitch a few, end both threads on the same side, cut them about 3/16" and melt them. Then hammer them flat

Aha! How do you melt it though - I am using thick linen thread?

Edited by HC009

for linen, just end the stitches as mentioned (backstitching a couple stitches), then add a half of a drop of super glue and those thread will not go anywhere :)

for linen, just end the stitches by backstitching as described above, and then put half a drop of super glue on both places where the thread is cut off....those thread will not move...

I just use a lighter and hold the flame just close enough that it melts without actually touching the tread.