devilhide

Struggling With This One. How Do I Achieve This Edge Border Please?

I come across this border work every now and then and would like to recreate it but have had limited success. Looking for a point in the right direction.

Chelsea leather does a great job of it. post-56580-0-90063600-1433173582_thumb.j

Edited by devilhide

looks like it is unfinished in the picture. The next stage is to turn it then stitch. It looks like a bottom piece then a filler then a top piece of leather boned round the filler.

I think this is the finished picture. He does not turn it only trims it . I think it would be a better finish turned. It is as described above.

post-39106-0-96175900-1433177292_thumb.j

That could be done with a stamp as well. If done by hand, it's very good work because it would be difficult to keep an even pressure as you're running a tool across the edge. If I had to guess I would say they probably used a stamp to apply the pressure since it's so even.

Andrew

Are you talking around the edge of the closing flap, that border? Because it looks to me like he does it like any carved object. He carves the higher part, bevels it to make that line stand out and backgrounds the edge to make it look more pronounced still. I thought you wanted to know how to get that layered effect at first. Cheryl

That's what I assumed but just looks so neat and uniform, maybe the stamp is a lot bigger than Im picturing.

Edited by devilhide

Are you talking around the edge of the closing flap, that border? Because it looks to me like he does it like any carved object. He carves the higher part, bevels it to make that line stand out and backgrounds the edge to make it look more pronounced still. I thought you wanted to know how to get that layered effect at first. Cheryl

I just think it's to unifom for a cut and bevel and feel it must be a stamp. thanks for the reply

Devil hide. I think he probably cut out the leather, then used something like a 'lil' wizard to cut the line he beveled, and it looks like on the top he's got a reverse or inside bevel going and then just used a back grounding tool on the edge. I'll be honest I have gotten similar results to the back grounding tool using a stick that i smashed one end against the concrete. I looked at itt closely and I don't think it's completely uniform. A lot of people won't tell you they get that popped up border by using a swivel knife in something like a lil wizard, why I don't know. Cheryl

Devil hide. I think he probably cut out the leather, then used something like a 'lil' wizard to cut the line he beveled, and it looks like on the top he's got a reverse or inside bevel going and then just used a back grounding tool on the edge. I'll be honest I have gotten similar results to the back grounding tool using a stick that i smashed one end against the concrete. I looked at itt closely and I don't think it's completely uniform. A lot of people won't tell you they get that popped up border by using a swivel knife in something like a lil wizard, why I don't know. Cheryl

I feel as if it's a trade secret the answer I have had in the past is a homemade tool!! that's not much help. Thanks Cheryl I feel as if I should have another play with this now. Maybe an edge creaser and bevel away from that tonight and see what results I get. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I'm not sure I'm right but I hope I am. Good luck. Cheryl

I have come to the conclusion that to get a finish like that in my opinion it's a stamp. yes you could do it with a a knife and beveler but you wouldn't end up with the same finish. I think large stamps and some sort of press are used to produce such a great finish. If that's not how it's done I think it would produce the closest resemblance I can think of.

Argo

I believe she has pressed it with a form. Since it looks like she's making several it would take too long to do all that by hand and have them all end up the same. Looks like she does nice work.

Do you mean the lines following the straight edge of the card pockets? Might be a thin leather that is folded in half and glued to give the appearance of a finished edge on each pocket, then a creaser is used to give that burnished design line along the edge.

I still don't get what part you are talking about Can you put a arrow on the picture.

I have seen wide creasers in old tool collection that make that shape. If I remember I will find a pic when I am at home

They are called edge irons and usually are cobblers tools

post-60185-0-60038100-1433215550_thumb.j

best pic i can find.

post-60185-0-74446400-1433215779_thumb.j

Edited by TinkerTailor

Have to agree with Andrew Chee on this one. Most likely done with a custom made stamp that 'flattens' the edges all at once, probably as well as cutting it at the same time. Based on how even and identical everything seems.

The way to do it by hand (and much, much slower) is to skive the flesh side (paring knife or with a skiving machine) and wet the edge, then on the top side, crease a marking line and with a bone folder manually flatten out the area between the crease and the edge until that area is flat and smooth (and thinner).

I have no experience using the glazing irons for this and I'm a bit curious to if it actually works. Normally shoe makers use it to wax and smooth the sides of the soles/heels, but I heard about saddle makers using it for edge finishing too. Would like to see if someone makes it work.