I am new here and have a few questions and Dwight was kind enough to answer one on another thread. While I have been in the market for a holster for my own daily carry, which is a Rock Island 1911 with a full length rail it has been almost impossible to find a holster maker that could do it. I did do some searching for blue guns or what ever else I could find that would work and again I couldn't locate anything. The thought crossed my mind a couple of years ago about making belts but not leather but the web strap type after I bought one, but the thought of leather has been in the back of my mind for many years. And again what picked my interest was the need for my own personal carry needs. I started to do my due diligence by searching the web and that is what brought me here. So where have most of you found your supplies to work with? I have a Tandy shop in Nashville that is about 45 miles from me but little else that I know of so far, my interest again would be in belts and also in the future holsters, but need a good source for the blue, red, aluminum guns. Also as Dwight mentioned a singer 111w147 I would be interested in a machine that can do the thicker stuff like a double thickness of leather. Hope I made sense thanks to all who will provide some input. And for all those that would like to know, I shoot, reload my own, love my family and my dog and attend a Calvary Church here in TN.

Thanks

There's a stack o' machines kin stitch leather. By double, I assume you mean about double 7 or 8 ounce leather. That's under 1/4", so most machines you hear about around here are going to work. The larger issue is one that will sew smoothly with the thread size you'll want. Lotsa boys around these parts use 277 thread on holsters / belts. My personal opinion - while I've used 277 (including today) I think 207 thread makes a belt / holster just fine. Point is, I wouldn't go smaller than that on the holster (though I HAVE stitched belts with #138 thread).

Not sure why you'd have an issue finding a holster for the RIA. Maybe i'll go look that up, see what the issue is. If it's just a matter of 'blue guns', the real gun worrks just fine :)

I order from Rob over at bluegunstore.com (composite material) and also from Scott up at duncansoutdoor.com (aluminum). Between the two, they usually have what I need.

I looked up Duncan and their lineup doesn't include the RIA or a holster for a 1911 with a rail, and neither does the blue gun people not sure why not but they don't. I have a found a few machines for sale on craigslist that some of the one's with funny names that I think will do the work, and yes by double I mean 2 8-9 for belts. Right now I would need to be able to buy used and hope I don't have to do much work to get it to run proper to make the items I want to make then dump more money into the machine if needed. Thanks for the input and hope for more.