David Bruce

Just Got Some New Tools!

I just received two new tools that are already saving me so much time and producing cleaner work. A Keystone Splitter/Skiver and an Italian Twist Press (both from Campbell-Randall). I split and skived some belts last night and what usually takes me an hour or so was done in minutes! I recently started to produce my pieces for sale vs. pure enjoyment and have found it difficult to produce items in a time frame that keeps the cost in the realm of an everyday middle-class buyer. I would love to eventually be able to do custom-only work but until I get to that point I would like to build a business from leatherwork. I'm not trying to compete with mass produced or cheap imports so my price is still substantial but quality and hand made costs.

Anyway, here's a photo of them. If you are thinking about getting a splitter I highly recommend the Keystone.

post-47864-0-86171200-1433701675_thumb.p

lucky you :) I'd love to get one but the budget just isn't there right now. What did the Keystone cost you?

Yeah, they are pricey but good tools usually are. I looked around for a used one for some time but never found one of these with the handle. I read good things about Campbell Randall's and decided that the extra $ was worth it for quality, USA made and piece of mind. It did take about a month to get it after ordering. Their site lists the price.