ChelseaC

Leather Sandals

Hi!

I am pretty new to sewing and leather working and I want to play around with making leather sandals. I currently make soft soled baby shoes.

I have a list of tools that I think I will need to make sandals, but I want other input from people who are way more experienced than me!

I would like to make them with a Veg Tanned Leather out sole, Leather insole, and leather straps.

My list:

Veg Tanned Leather, about 8 oz weight

Leather, about 3-5 oz weight

glue and brush.....not sure what kind

rubber mallet

oblong punch to make a slit to feed the sandal straps through the sole - to be glued (or sewed?) between the two layers of leather

snaps/buttons/buckles

sharp knife/scissors

sanding tool? or polishing tool? for sanding down the cut edges of the sandals

Please let me know if you would add or change anything to this list! Thanks!

You will need an diamond awl for making stitch holes, away to mark your stitch holes such as pricking irons or overstitch wheel. Why a rubber mallet. If you are using it to strike the oblong punch or set rivets, I would recommend a dead blow hammer, Rawhide or poly maul or mallet. Rubber mallet will have to much bounce. Go to the pattern forum and look for the flipflop tutorial, It will give you a good bases for making your sandals. Found the tutorial here it is. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=62573

Edited by camano ridge

Thanks so much! I am very new to leather work in general, so I don't know much about each tool yet. I will check out the tutorial!

Thanx for your continuous efforts to help others, Camano I appreciate you -- Wild Bill46

just now finding this tutorial. ho