JamesR

Getting Gusset Edges Even. How Do You Do It?

Hello,

How do you get the edges of your gussets even with the sides of a bag.

I have been taking pains to keep the edges even while I stitch.

I understand some folks don't worry about it as much and cut and or sand the edges even.

I have made a number of bags but never glued the gussets

I understand many folks use contact cement to glue the edges. I'm not crazy about working with most solvent based contact cement.

I have sanded and trimmed veg tanned bridle leather edges but latigo doesn't sand too well.

So what do you think?

Jim

If you are interested in the gluing route, rmleathersupply.com sells a water based adhesive and it works pretty well. RM is a good supplier and ships quickly

I hope you get some more answers here

best

ac

http://www.sorrellnotionsandfindings.com

Aquilim 315 water based. From the description its 3 times stronger than contact cement.

A way you may want to try is to cut out the gusset to the length and width then align it as close as you can.

When watching videos on

shoe construction - sole gluing to upper (glueing the toe and heel area first)

bag making - gusset gluing to front panel,

the re occurring theme is they glue the (bag) edges and corners first then the parts in between will naturally want to stay straight if that makes sense..

Another thing I have done purely for practice is to take a 10 cm strip of leather (gusset) and stitch it around a rounded corner (also 10cm long around the bend). If I match the ends of the gusset to the ends of the rounded corner the gusset will fit perfectly. I haven't done it enough times to tell if I need to add a few mms of length because the corner needs more leather or if thickness of the gusset leather has a role.

The only way to really find an answer is to do it on scraps multiple times till you get it how you want.

If you are interested in the gluing route, rmleathersupply.com sells a water based adhesive and it works pretty well. RM is a good supplier and ships quickly

I hope you get some more answers here

best

ac

http://www.sorrellnotionsandfindings.com

Aquilim 315 water based. From the description its 3 times stronger than contact cement.

A way you may want to try is to cut out the gusset to the length and width then align it as close as you can.

When watching videos on

shoe construction - sole gluing to upper (glueing the toe and heel area first)

bag making - gusset gluing to front panel,

the re occurring theme is they glue the (bag) edges and corners first then the parts in between will naturally want to stay straight if that makes sense..

Another thing I have done purely for practice is to take a 10 cm strip of leather (gusset) and stitch it around a rounded corner (also 10cm long around the bend). If I match the ends of the gusset to the ends of the rounded corner the gusset will fit perfectly. I haven't done it enough times to tell if I need to add a few mms of length because the corner needs more leather or if thickness of the gusset leather has a role.

The only way to really find an answer is to do it on scraps multiple times till you get it how you want.

Thanks to both of you.

I will try the water based glue.

I can see where careful gluing would reduce edge trimming.

Do you think this type of glue would work on latigo too?

Jim

The Aquilim glues are great! 315 is a contact cement but they have another that can be used wet so you don't have to wait for it to dry. It's either SG or GL. A little goes a long way as they're highly concentrated.

For holding straightish edges for sewing a lot of bag makers use double stick tape.

Not the stuff from office supply stores but the 1/4" kind on bigger rolls. Art supply stores and Lisa Sorrell carry it.

No mess, NO SOLVENTS, easy and fast to apply. I've never had any trouble with it gumming up needles.