amuckart

What's The Smallest Cylinder Arm That'll Sew With 277 Thread?

i find myself sewing some tightly curved things that are too small for me to do on a 441 clone, and I'm wondering what the smallest machine that'll sew with 277 or 207 thread is.

Singer 45k is too big and I don't think a CW-8 type machine will be small enough or feed think thread.

The stirrup plate on the 441 might be a so,union but I'm damned if I can get an acceptable stitch quality using it, and I've had zero luck feeding Biothane without a feed dog.

Is there a machine out there that'll do this?

Thanks.

Since some Singer 111 type flat bed machiens can handle 207 thread I could imagine that the Seiko CW-8 / Consew 227 type machiens can hadle 207 thread as well when the hole in the feed dog is wide enough and the hook is set up proberly. But I can´t speak from experience since I (yet) don´t have a 227 type machine.

Biothane is not feeding - why not? The 441 has a needle feed so I think it should work. Or am I on the wrong track?

Since some Singer 111 type flat bed machiens can handle 207 thread I could imagine that the Seiko CW-8 / Consew 227 type machiens can hadle 207 thread as well when the hole in the feed dog is wide enough and the hook is set up proberly. But I can´t speak from experience since I (yet) don´t have a 227 type machine.

Biothane is not feeding - why not? The 441 has a needle feed so I think it should work. Or am I on the wrong track?

The OP tried sewing Biothane using the raised holster plate, which is slotted and eliminates the feed dog function. The material is too sticky on the bottom to feed properly on a walking foot machine lacking bottom feed. This would be better done on a jump foot Union Lockstitch or Campbell Lockstitch machine, using one size larger awl than normal.

i find myself sewing some tightly curved things that are too small for me to do on a 441 clone, and I'm wondering what the smallest machine that'll sew with 277 or 207 thread is.

Singer 45k is too big and I don't think a CW-8 type machine will be small enough or feed think thread.

The stirrup plate on the 441 might be a so,union but I'm damned if I can get an acceptable stitch quality using it, and I've had zero luck feeding Biothane without a feed dog.

Is there a machine out there that'll do this?

Thanks.

While a lot of machines will feed biothane, I have found the jump foot machines like the ASE No. 9, The Campbell, The Ferdco Bull and some others do the best. Wanting to run 277 thread will pretty much assure that it will be a larger machine like those mentioned.

Art

My STH-8 will sew with 277 thread, but it doesn't like it. My understanding is that the CW-8 is basically the same machine in a cylinder arm configuration.

Too much friction between the material and the machine. Because 441s have no lower needle guide like machines originally designed for needle-feeding difficult material, the needle deflects instead of feeding and you get inconsistent stitch length and missed stitches.

The OP tried sewing Biothane using the raised holster plate, which is slotted and eliminates the feed dog function. The material is too sticky on the bottom to feed properly on a walking foot machine lacking bottom feed. This would be better done on a jump foot Union Lockstitch or Campbell Lockstitch machine, using one size larger awl than normal.

Oh I wish I could go down that route! Unfortunately the cost of a Campbell machine landed here in NZ is around the NZ$10,000 mark, so that's not happening any time soon.

Edited by amuckart