OLDNSLOW

How To Determined What Tanning Method Was Used

I am a newbie and will be trying my hand at some holsters, belts and other items, I have three pieces of leather right now but uncertain what type of leather it is, one I bought at harbor freight it is intended to be a welders apron, it is fairly thick yet plyable. The other 2 were for intended as welders aprons but not as thick, the 2 feel along the lines of buck skin, as well as the other but thicker. is there a way to determine how they were tanned, I was thinking that if they are not chrome tanned I could use them as a liner in holsters as I want to line my holsters in able to set mine aside from others, backing against the skin if it is a leather kydex holster.

Thanks in advance

SnO

Without seeing pictures and having seen some of the welding aprons at harbor freight I am going to say most likely they are chrome tanned. Is it sueded on both side or is there a smooth side? Take a small pice gett it wet and shape it any way you want. Let it dry and see if it stiffens up and holds it's shape, if it does it is probably veg tanned.

The earliest recorded use of curbside recycling occurred in medieval towns with tanneries. Crews were sent out with carts every morning to collect each resident's containers of "night soil" which was transported back to the tannery for use in tanning hides for leather.

The use of urine and feces in tanning processes continues to this day, and is prevalent on several continents. Most of the leather offered for sale in the US is imported, and there is seldom any way to determine where it came from or what method of tanning was used.

I trust the products of Hermann Oak Tannery and Wickett & Craig Tannery, as well as the veg-tanned horsehide produced by Horween's Tannery. I do not trust anything else, even when it is offered by Harbor Freight or Tandy's or Hobby Lobby.

Your methods may vary.

well I got It wet and let sit outside for a while and it would not stiffen up so, I have to figure that it has be chrome tanned and wont work for what I need.

Thanks for the input.

cut it and see if the cut is greenish or grey, or put flame/lighter under it and u will also see green or greyish fume....sense it is chrome tan!!

Snipp a small piece off and boil it in hot water short time it will curll up like a pigs tail....this is veg tan!! Easy!!

U will have 100% sure some chrome tan leather, maybe oil tanned or such....

I'll do that and report back thanks for the info.

O n S

this is what it looked like after a few minutes in boiling water, along with what it looks like.

post-62918-0-37625100-1434761570_thumb.j

post-62918-0-19274400-1434761577_thumb.j

post-62918-0-54796900-1434761600_thumb.j

well the larger size leather curled up and got stiffer than the dickens, so is that to mean that is veg tanned.

thanks

O n S

If the leather takes the shape and holds it then it is probably veg-tanned. By the way, boiling water will damage leather. For wet forming I usually use water at room temperature or right out of the tap, or moderately warm during the winter (primarily for my comfort).

What you have there is cow split that has been chrome tanned.

If it's thick and pliable that almost always a give-away, but in this case what does give it away is the white center line in the cut. If it's blue/green/yellow/very white then it's a chrome tan.

And of course the fact that veg tan contracts with temperatures over 70* celcius (or there about)

Exactly, you have clearly chrome tan....see the blue-ish cut line and of course....as said correctly....it is very fuzzy and pliable....therefor also chrome tan!!

Its always the cheapest option, no need for a test:)