TWells91

Bifold Wallet Problem!

I'm new to leathercraft, and should've thought ahead, but I made the outside and inside pieces of the wallet the same length...and now they're not folding correctly of course. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

A picture of how it looks now would help. Remember to allow for the different radius of the fold from the inside and the outside. The inside piece needs to be shorter.

You might be able to rip it apart and depending on how the inside is built, trim it shorter and re-sew or re-lace the wallet.

Tom

Hi twells,this will not be the last time this will happen to you, i would say start again and treat it as a learning experience. We have all had to go through this process in order to learn, anyone who says they have never scrapped a project is a liar imho. Remember also to add enough extra length to the outer piece not just for the wallet to close but remember it needs to close when it is full of notes and cards. I learnt that one the hard way too, i made a lovely wallet that closed perfectly when empty, the first time i put about £200 in it did not want to close properly. I normally add about 15mm extra to the outer to allow for the bend, i also add extra on to this as well because i like to do turned edges as well. I f you are a beginner leave that for later though. You might also consider making mock ups out of paper or felt or even cheap vynil to avoid wasting expensive leather in the future. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck. This Ian Atkinson video is good too if you have not seen it, also try typing in Nigel Arnitage videos in to you tube i seem to remember he has also got some good wallet making videos as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNXfMC0SqP4

Edited by oldhat

Just found Nigels video too.