khauser

Info On Old Singer 771

I recently tried an old singer 771 a lady had for sale she had some 4-5 ounce chap leather there I tried sewed very easily and nice stitch on four layers she said five layers usually breaks the string, the thread size she had was 69. I am just wondering if anybody has any info on this machine such as what size thread you can sew with and what is the most you can sew with it I would be using it for chaps and hopefully headstalls if this machine will tackle that, she didn't have any firmer leather for me to try harness or skirting. just looking for info and what is this machine worth comes set up with a table and motor? thanks

The 771 is a domestic "Plastic Bomber". Domestic sewing machines most of the time are limited to 69 or 92 thread and you sometimes don´t even find thicker needles for thicker thread because of the limitations. These machines are not designed for heavy work. You of course can sew leather with them but on the long view this most likely is not what you want.

Please look at this pinned thread first. LW member WIZ explained a lot about sewing machines for leather. It´s a lot to read but also a lot you should know before buying a machine:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25239

Furthermore check this Video of Arthur Porter, he also is a LW member

Take your time - You need these information!

I recall that there is another 771 from Singer - is it the old grey 771 industrial machine which has the belt pulley underneath the table top?

yes it is old grey industrial machine.with the pulley and motor underneath table top. it sewed through the four layers of chap leather like nothing

Still not what you should buy. There are almost no parts available for these machines. Maybe some standard parts but thats it. Its also an odd system with the pulley underneath the table. Thin needles punch through soft leather w/o problem and most other machines can do that. But they once where designed for sewing fabric or some thin garment leather or maybe sewing sunbrella with thread not thicker than 69 or max. 92. They are high speed machines with an automatic lubrication system (if I remember correctly) and when you sew at slow speed the oil pumps do not work properly.

I would not buy the Singer 770 machine for serious leather work. I once setup a 770 for someone who bought it for 1€ on Ebay. I hope I don´t see it again. Or it was a subclass of a 660 but it had the pulley under the table...

You should look for a walking foot machine - check the Video and the linked thread. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

thank you. 500 was wat she was asking and even if it didn't do heavy stuff I thought it was a good price to do wallets , chaps and what not. thanks for the advice

The Touch and Sew machines are not built to pound bonded thread into leather. They, like all of the domestic sewing machines, are bottom fed only. The lack of top and needle feed makes it difficult, if not impossible to sew more than a couple layers of thin chap leather. The stitch length will be tiny at best.

If you feel that the machine is a must have deal, buy it to do quilts and hem light cloth pants and skirts, or to make pillow cases and such. Don't buy it to sew leather. Save your money and buy a good walking foot machine with compound feed, capable of tensioning up to #138 thread, top and bottom. None of the domestics can handle that thread, which is the standard on chaps..

wizcrafts this is not the same machine as the touch and sew 771. I looked up singer 771 on google and could find nothing on the machine except them little singer 771 touch and sew this is a bigger grey industrial cast machine with table and clutch motor it does go fast but if you got a steady foot it will sew slow it will even start out slow instead of having to start out fast and feather it back

Even the 771 / 770 or the like industrial machines with drop feed are not ideal for producing leather goods. Wiz gave some very good hints in the pinned thread I have linked and Arthur Porters Video is worth watching when you are new to sewing machines.

I had to learn it the hard way - at the beginning I thought any Industrial sewing machine is strong enough for my work and I can sew as thick as I can get unter the presse foot (hell - they are industrial machines) but no I totally failed.

I once owned a Pfaff 138 (also drop feed like the 771) - great machine for fabric but it struggled with leather (especially suede) and thicker thread like 138. I have tried a lot of different machines (really). And since I have my walking foot Singer 111G156 I never had to look for another flat bed sewing machine for medium leather work or heavier canvas work (up to 9mm thickness). And I´m totaly pleased! The combined feeding system of bottom feed, needle feed and top feed really makes the difference!!!

Again - You really should look for a walking foot machine - Check the Video and the linked thread !!!