Hello Everyone!

I just picked up crafting as a hobby and have intensely fallen in love with it. I have a lot of projects in mind but the one I'm about to work on is a knife sheath. I have been watching some videos on wet forming the sheath and I really like it. I did however also want to practice with tooling but I'm not sure if or when I can do that with wet forming. Is it possible to tool a knife sheath and wet form it? If so how would I go about that?

Thank you,
Chief

Welcome to the forum! I've only wet-formed one or two projects, and only made one knife sheath (not wet formed), and thus can't give a definitive opinion. However, most sheaths I've seen are either wet formed or tooled, not both.

Both operations would be working against each other. Stamping something supposes that you plan to leave it to dry undisturbed. Wet-molding would pull and twist the leather, most likely effacing or distorting any design you put on it. You really need to clamp anything wet-molded into place while it dries, which makes it hard to stamp after you've molded something. You might be able to get around it by some clever means, but it would take some experimentation.

Thank you! As I started thinking through the process it made me question if I could do both. I have been trying to find some examples but like you said it seems like it is either one or the other. Thank you!