Nandy

Pfaff 1445, Price Inquiry And More...

Seen a 1445 machine and did a bit of searching here but I could not get all my questions answered so I figure I ask.

I assume this machine will be similar to the 225 I have in some regards but what are the general differences? It seems foots are not compatible.

Are the accessories and parts for this machine hard to find relatively to the 225?

what is a decent price to pay for a well cared machine with a clutch motor? I just want to make sure I am not overpaying and the only hit I got was from ebay and I know some people just go crazy on their asking price.

Any other input welcome.

Thanks!

It seems the Pfaff 1445 are less common that the Pfaff 1245 series. A Pfaff 1445 Service Manual will be essential if you own his machine and to compare specs to other machines. The feet are not interchangeable between Consew 225 and Pfaff machines. Even the 1245 uses different feet than the 1445. On the plus side, Pfaff 1445 parts are still being made by aftermarket manufacturers like Kwok Hing. Original Pfaff parts will be very expensive compared to what you can get Consew 225 parts for.

Pricing/value-wise, it seems the 1445 should not be far off from a Pfaff 1245 in similar condition - the 1245 is easier to price because there's more of them for sale for comparison. I'm roughly guessing $300-600 for a beater, $600-$900 for good used machine, $900+ for a well tuned cream puff of a machine with table/motor.

The Pfaff 1445 looks to have some elaborate pump-drive lubrication scheme, which can be a red flag for the hobbyist sewing only occasionally and slowly. Poor lubrication due to not operating the machine at rated speeds will cause problems. Many leatherworkers (including me) prefer a manual lubrication system.

Personally, I'd go with a "popular" machine where you can find parts, accessories and used machines all over the place. The Pfaff 1445 seems "rare" to me, which can be trouble down road when things start to go wrong.

On the other hand, if you get your hands on a really nice one and you take of it and don't abuse it, the machine will probably last you a lifetime.

Edited by Uwe

If you're looking to upgrade from your Consew 225, you should seriously consider the Adler 267 that member Jimbob has for sale in the used for sale section. He lives reasonably close to you and the Adler 267 is the last x67 series machines before they got into pump driven oiling systems. That's the machine I eventually want to end up owning.

Edited by Uwe

Thanks for the reply Uwe. Wouldnt it be a good idea for a person that uses the machine very slow to on occasion just pull the thread out and run it full speed? Wouldn't that lubricate all points enough? I just thought about that.

If the 1445 is the same machine I think it is, it is a good 1/2" lift machine, much like the 1245. There are not many points to oil on a Pfaff, most of the shafts have needle bearings and don't need lubrication other than the grease that's in there. The bobbin race can use a little oil every 4 hours, and if it is a pumper, take a piece of paper and see if the pump is sufficient at your operating speeds. Unless I see oil dripping off of the bobbin race, I oil it anyway as I don't do much sewing at the speed of light . Like Brylcreem, "a little dab will do ya". On vertical bobbin shaft machines (that's machines with "drop in" or "horizontal" bobbins), check that there is a little grease on the gears that transition the bobbin shaft from horizontal to vertical. Look in the head (things over the needle) to see if anything needs oiling, but there's probably needle bearings in there too. Sometime the external shafts need oil (like for the needle feed) but there again needle bearings may be in use.

Art

Running an oil pump machine at rated speeds in regular intervals may work to compensate for slow sewing but may get tiresome after a while. Read the "Adler 467 for Venator" saga pinned at the top of this forum for a case study of a pump lubrication system gone bad.

As a Hobbyist I personally would not buy a sewing machine with oil pump.When you are running a sewing machine in an industrial environment and have a proper trained mechanic around it´s a different story. I like the manual oiling and while doing it I´m checking my machine for smaller issues (like dirt, lint or loose screws...) so I know everything is in good oder but when you depend on an oil pump (in terms of "Fire and Forget") and it fails for some reason you are screwed (sooner or later). The post Uwe mentioned is a good warning I think.

I think manual oiling or wick oiling machines are what a leather worker should look for.

The Singer 211 is a nice example for a combination of manual and wick oiling. It has a system of wicks and even some external screw you can open for checking, cleaning or oiling the oil pads.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

So I have to fess, I went and bought the 1445 machines. I know, I know... allow me to explain. Is not that I ignored your advice but the intention for these machines has changed a bit after the advise here. What I got was two 1445 with the Efka Variostop controls and a 3hp 3 phase convertor. The Variostop controls the needle position to always stop at the bottom. It can also do the automatic backtack and thread cutter. The pneumatics also controls the presser foot lift (pressing the bottom of the foot pedal softly) or lift the foot, needle and cut the thread (if pushed all the way). Machines sew with no problem with their vinyl material and the leather I took with me. I got an assortment of foot's (l/r zipper, regular and pipping) and bobbins. One of the machines does not do the pneumatic backtack but the mechanic backtack works. Seems I need a switch. I shall look more into this but they all sew fine.

The best part is the price of $400 for all of the above. I think that was a steal. My hopes is to get them in ebay on auction to get as much as I can then use that money to get a machine "better" than the 225. I have to set them up to work the kinks, clean them and work in the ebay ad so I figure I might get some use out of them. I have to admit it was very nice to sew with the few advantages that the Variostop offered.

Thanks everyone.

That was a steal indeed for two working genuine Pfaffs with Efka motors - good for you! Post some pictures of your new arrivals when you get them set up so that we can admire them!

It will probably be a few weeks. I have run out of space and have to move quite a few things to make space. I appreciate your help much.

Does anyone has the owners manual for this machine? so far I have the service manual and the parts manual. Looking for threading sequence and other stuff...

No user manual, sorry, but I came across this thread that talks about the Efka motors on a Pfaff 1445: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=43867

Efka manuals are available here: http://www.efka.net/pdf/index_en.php

The Efka programming may be trickier than the threading.

You got that right, and their instructions are not the best. I have the 5G43p456. I downloaded that one not long ago. I had read that thread before I got the machine so it was interesting to say the least. when everything else fails, trial and error!!! lol!

Thanks!