I have been reading about a wood called lignum vitae (the real stuff, not Argentinian lignum vitae). What I have found is the this is supposed to be the hardest wood in nature, and it is oily by nature. It's rare but can be had. I've read claims that it is an even better wood from which to make edge burnishers than cocobolo. My question is, before I buy any to turn into a burnisher, whether anyone on here has heard of it and/or knows anything about it? If so please tell me what you think.

crd

Type in "lignum vitae" in the search box up at the top tight corner and you will get a couple threads with members talking about this wood.

Karina

Edited by veedub3

I have a bit of experience with it, Scorpionrider. Here are two burnishers I made a few months ago and subsequently sold here on the forums. I have since decided not to make burnishers out of it, for now, as this old growth, genuine Lignum Vitae is very rare now. I have had this piece since about 1989 or so. I made two awl hafts out of it too. Pictures below.

It does indeed make a very good burnisher. But I'm not sure any better than other very hard woods, such as Cocobolo rosewood or other rosewoods. The naturally high oil content of Lignum Vitae, along with its very tight grain pattern and dense nature, tend to make it burnish well. The old circular "donut" hand burnishers were made of LV. But I haven't done enough side by side comparisons to know if it works any better as a burnishing wood than others. It is amazing stuff. A pleasure with work with on the lathe and takes a very high natural polish. Emits a very pleasant, floral scent when worked on the lathe as well.

If you can find some of the genuine old stuff, true Guaiacum officinale, I recommend buying it. It is very rare now. I have one blank of it left. But after I made these two burnishers, I sort of felt it may not have been a suitably respectful use for it, considering its rarity, when Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) probably works just as well. I have lots of Cocobolo.

I may make more awl hafts out of it, however.

(p.s. In case anyone is interested, I sold the one LV awl haft shown in the first pic, but intend to put the second one, with the deeper grooves cut into the handle, on the for sale section at some point)

regards,

Scott

burnishers1_zpsd8273414.jpg

LV%20awl%202-1_zpsbl9s5zw8.jpg

LV%20awl%201-2_zpswys9xy1v.jpg

Thanks very much veedub3 and slipangle. Great info slippage, just what I was looking for. Helps me make up my mind. If you sell the second awl I can tell it will go fast. Great craftsmanship.

crd

Thanks CRD. It occurs to me, I wasn't actually able to answer your question. Not enough testing.

But you know, although I use my Lignum vitae burnisher, I think I'll make a Cocobolo one and suspect it may work as well,

or even better. Just a theory but I'm suspecting the oiliness of lignum vitae might work against the idea of burnishing over the edge of veg tanned leather. Just a bit. Since I add lube anyway, such as Fiebing's saddle soap, the lack of waxiness in cocobolo may be an advantage. Not sure.

First, let me apologize for what my spellchecker did to your name and I did not catch until I just now re-read it. Next I appreciate your further response. I went ahead and bought some of the real lignum vitae to see if the oiliness would be helpful. Wasn't cheap but might be worth it. Once I receive it and have a chance to use it for a bit I will come back here to give my opinion. I also have cocobolo and will try to compare/contrast them. Know however that I am a complete novice in this field so my opinion may not count for very much but I'll give it anyway.

I really liked the bottom of the two burnishers pictured and is one of the forms I will be shooting for once I can find someone to turn it. Maybe I'll just invest in a mini lathe if I can't find someone. Was it hard to turn?

crd

Hi CRD,

No worries on the name. I didn't even notice it. :)

I think I'll send you a PM.

Scott

There is a woodworker supply company called "Woodcraft" that sells every type of wood imaginable. They have brick and mortar stores in many locations and sell online as well. Do a search for woodcraft.com and you can take a look at what they have. I have purchased from them several times for various woodworking projects and the folks in the stores are very knowledgeable and willing to answer any questions you might have.