Cowhorses

Dot/spot Setter

Some may know of this company. I just found it and was very happy. First..I don't work for them or have any connection. Thought some might want to check this out.

Tandy has sold some dot setters(made in China). They were okay but I guess they might not sell them anymore, or so the local store told me. I have used them but was not real happy.

So..I found some I think are worth t he price (about $18 each). They are also spring loaded and made by this company in the good ole' USA and established in 1888. And of course they sell dots and spots. What I liked was that they sold Stainless Dots and down to 1/8". Black dots as well. Back to the dot setter. I bought the 3/16th and just now ordered the 1/8" and 1/4". I used the 3/16th and it worked great.

Prices are good to, although you may think $18 for a dot setter is high...try putting them on by hand! The company name is Standard Rivet in Maine. Real friendly folks too.

Here is the link. They have a limited inventory, unlike Chicago Bag..but the quality is there.

https://www.standardrivet.com/machines-tools/tools/82-hand-held-tool-for-setting-round-head-spots.php#

Hope this helps others as much as finding these helped me.

Some may know of this company. I just found it and was very happy. First..I don't work for them or have any connection. Thought some might want to check this out.

Tandy has sold some dot setters(made in China). They were okay but I guess they might not sell them anymore, or so the local store told me. I have used them but was not real happy.

So..I found some I think are worth t he price (about $18 each). They are also spring loaded and made by this company in the good ole' USA and established in 1888. And of course they sell dots and spots. What I liked was that they sold Stainless Dots and down to 1/8". Black dots as well. Back to the dot setter. I bought the 3/16th and just now ordered the 1/8" and 1/4". I used the 3/16th and it worked great.

Prices are good to, although you may think $18 for a dot setter is high...try putting them on by hand! The company name is Standard Rivet in Maine. Real friendly folks too.

Here is the link. They have a limited inventory, unlike Chicago Bag..but the quality is there.

https://www.standardrivet.com/machines-tools/tools/82-hand-held-tool-for-setting-round-head-spots.php#

Hope this helps others as much as finding these helped me.

Thank you for this post! Standard Rivet is a great company and they have been a very friendly and reliable supplier of ours for almost 20 years! I'm curious about this Chicago Bag company???????

What would you like to know Jackie? I can tell you, I ordered two more sizes and still want one more size. These manual dot setters are the best I've seen and used. They are far superior to the ones Tandy sold(if you can find them). The tolerance is great and hold the dot without having to bend the legs out to keep them in the barrel. Not so with the Tandy ones. They also have a spring on them which means you have to press down to allow them to touch the leather...before smacking it. I've tried setting them both ways...smacking them and also tapping them in. What I found works for me is to press down till they touch, then tap to start THEN SMACK IT.

I only recently became aware of your company and I'm sure I will order stuff at some point. You have a lot of STUFF..and great comments about your company and ease of use.

For those who set dots by hand(machines are too expensive), these manual dot setters are the best I've seen and made by Standard Rivit...good ole' American made and it shows. Standard Rivit does not have a lot of 'stuff' but what they have is good..or great. They were the only folks I could find that sold Stainless dots and black dots down to 1/8".