Sign in to follow this  
westtxcowboy1979

Latigo

I've never worked with latigo. I've recently got an order for a tan breast collar. I don't have much experience with tack. But I do have some tan latigo. Can you tool latigo and would you case it before tooling? If not would you use saddle skirting and die it or oil it with olive oil? I would appreciate all the help I can get? :whatdoyouthink:

Latigo, is stuffed with oils and tallow, that makes it tuff and durable.The oil content does not make it desirable for tooling or stamping.Strap leather or skirting is tanned for tooling, oiling after the tooling process makes a nice finish and will darken the leather.

I wouldn't use latigo for tooling. you can't case it well because of all the extra oils, and even though you can get it to take a nice impression from stamping tools at first, the impressions will lift over time. i experimented with it once just to see what would happen. after about 4 hours or so the impressions had lifted about 50%.

ken

I've never worked with latigo. I've recently got an order for a tan breast collar. I don't have much experience with tack. But I do have some tan latigo. Can you tool latigo and would you case it before tooling? If not would you use saddle skirting and die it or oil it with olive oil? I would appreciate all the help I can get? :whatdoyouthink:

If I got an order for a TAN breast collar I would make it TAN in color. I am going with that thought.

Your breast collar should be tooling leather exterior and then line it with latigo inside. Reason for that is, The latigo is more sweat resistent then tooling leather. Leave the olive oil in your kitchen and oil it with neatsfoot oil or compound then apply something like bagkote for a finish.

Be sure to skive all inside edges to keep down bulk and smooth the edges as not to rub on the horse.

Rick Jorgenson