Hello there, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but here I go.

Does any of you know how to achieve nice, neat grooves along the edges like those:

post-65050-0-95215400-1440287980_thumb.j

post-65050-0-11818700-1440287991_thumb.j

Is it simply the case of using a groover, or is there a better trick for that? It doesn't look like it's beveled. So how do they do that? *stares in awe*. Have any of you guys tried that?

looks like just done with a groover to me, very carefully

looks like just done with a groover to me, very carefully

hmmm to me too. but still it gets me wondering, maybe it's just pressed in with an awl or a tracing pen - hard pressed and as you said very carefully :}.

the cases could be a stamp for all of it but the armour, I'd say was grooved

I grooved a wallet thinking it was good to go. Had water put on the leather to wash off some dirt and the grooves were hardly visible afterwards.

Probably heat applied with the groover would be best.

I grooved a wallet thinking it was good to go. Had water put on the leather to wash off some dirt and the grooves were hardly visible afterwards.

Probably heat applied with the groover would be best.

that's an interesting idea. thank you for sharing :}.

I usually wet the leather and then groove for my stitching channel. If I want to keep it as a way to decorate you will have to have a sharp groover or make multiple passes. Of course, we are talking about an adjustable groover so that you have the same distance during each pass. One of the best and sharpest groover is the one made by Bob Douglas available through Sheridan Outfitters in Wyoming, USA.

Good luck

post-6330-0-16420400-1440300068_thumb.jp

To Me, They look as if their first wide grooved, and beveled on one side of each line ! Wild Bill46

I usually wet the leather and then groove for my stitching channel. If I want to keep it as a way to decorate you will have to have a sharp groover or make multiple passes. Of course, we are talking about an adjustable groover so that you have the same distance during each pass. One of the best and sharpest groover is the one made by Bob Douglas available through Sheridan Outfitters in Wyoming, USA.

Good luck

thank you for the tip. I'll check it out. my current groover is adjustable but of poor quality, I've been looking for something better.

Have you tried stropping your groover tip? You can use unwaxed thread covered with rouge and run it through the tip hole. This usually steps up the quality of your cut a step or two. Good luck!

In terms of maintaining the sharpness of my edgers, I get fine results using my Weaver Strop Board.

http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=8708&CatalogId=001&CatalogDetailId=44&NSM=Y

Michelle

Have you tried stropping your groover tip? You can use unwaxed thread covered with rouge and run it through the tip hole. This usually steps up the quality of your cut a step or two. Good luck!

In terms of maintaining the sharpness of my edgers, I get fine results using my Weaver Strop Board.

http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=8708&CatalogId=001&CatalogDetailId=44&NSM=Y

Michelle

thank you guys. I'll try sharpening it before I start looking around for a new groover :D.