l2bravo

Tippmann Boss

How decent are these machines? How big of thread/needles can you go on one? Is the quality of the stitching good?

Sorry for so many questions, just not real up to speed on them. Thanks, Josh

The Tippmann website shows it can handle up to 415 thread. I briefly owned one and ran 277 thread.....had the usual tension problems that a lot of Boss owners experience. I didn't like the way the stitching looked on the backside but never really mastered the machine. If I remember I had around $1400 in the Boss and although it was virtually NIB I took a pretty good loss when I sold it. Ended up with a Cowboy CB3200 ($1595 plus shipping) and never looked back. While the bottom stitching isn't perfect it's MUCH better than I experienced with my Boss. Keep in mind that the only machine that makes a perfect stitch top and bottom is a needle/awl machine and they are high dollar.

My boss sews great, the back side looks very good. There is a learning curve on setting tension but once you master it you are good to go. I love mine. 415 thread which uses a 28-32 needle is as large as you can go. I use 277 with a 25 needle and love it.

Michael

I don't know the needle size I use, . . . but I use only 346 thread, . . . and it does everything I ask it to do.

Yes, . . . there is a time when you have to "mess with" the machine to learn how to use it, . . . but if one has a good mechanical aptitude, . . . they are a good machine.

May God bless,

Dwight

We get these machines in from time to time for repair or adjustment.... mostly adjustments. They seem to run ok then for reasons that aren't always clear they mess up. Our engineer thinks its to do with the fairly heavy motion of the handle that brings on some jarring.

With the price of the Cowboy CB3200 at about the same level and coming with a table, motor, speed reducer, special feet and plates it seems a no brainer that that would be the best option no matter how good the Tippmann was. The Cowboy CB3200 will hold a good stitch from material to material, thread to thread, if it gets out of whack its easy to see why and adjust accordingly.