Ray100

Singers 112W 116 ?

Hi Forum i have just purchase anew to me 112 W 116 Singers , i don;'t know too much about the machine other than is a needle feed machine ,has 2 needles , can this machine be used to do light leather work ? leather uphostery work like the french seams ? or what is best used for ? also where can i find the needle size for this machine and what is the max thread that it can handle ,I do know that the longest stitch it will do is 6 stitches per inch it is missing the roller attachment ,so i might have to look for the missing parts or just leave it and use it like a 112 W 115 , any help or information would be greatly appriciated. thanks in advance Ray,

The 112w116 is a needle feed 2 needle machine and has the ability to use a close coupled puller. This is puller oriented just to the rear of the presser foot and pulled the material through. Although the puller is valuable for sewing long straight seams, it's pretty useless for leather. You could use it for light upholstery work and produce a French seam, typically done with a 3/8" gauge set. It will sew lightweight garment leather easily. Needles are available for leather in the 135x6 class, 135x7 for fabric.

I have an original Singer part book, listing all the parts for the machine as well as the optional puller unit. I use mine for doing full fell seams on nylon for making kites. We use the 212 newer version for making snap tabs, straps and usually with a folder. You can also use them as a single needle, but as for leather, it's limited without a walking foot.

Regards, Eric

Hi Gotta know thanks for the info , when you say its useless for leather you mean heavy leather? my intentions were to use it for french seams in auto upholstery( meaning Vinyl and auto leather ) the other question i have since you own one is what is the thickest thread you can run on it being 138 bonded the max or ? i don't plan on using nylon thread ,but bonded Poly thread holds up better in the sun,

135 is a bit much. You'd want to use a lighter bobbin thread, but I think you'll struggle with 135. I'd use 105 and then 90 in the bobbin. It'll work a lot better. The problem with doing French seams on upholstery is that even though the machine will sew it, the weight and length of most of the seams will cause your stitch length to vary. This is undesirable for upholstery. A walking foot eliminates the varying stitch length issue.

Regards, Eric

I might have to look for another machine then lol in the mean time hopefully I can find some use for it thanks for all your help and advise

Hi Gotta,

A factory that I'm working with has one of these singer machines (112W115).  I'm looking to make a flat felled side seam for chino pants using the machine.  Can you tell me where I can find a lap seam folder for this machine?

Thanks!

Universal Sewing Supply carries some off the shelf folders. Most of my felling folders are made by folder making companies like Atlanta Attachmnet or Tennessee Attachment. 

Regards, Eric 

Hey E,

Thanks for the info- much appreciated.  I reached out to Atlanta already, so good to hear they are a trusted vendor.  I'm hoping I won't need a roller to sew twills and canvas with it.

Thanks again.