Leatherbyelaine

Carpal Tunnel And Leatherwork

Recently I've had some pretty bad carpal tunnel issues w my left hand. It always gets bad due to hand stitching my products. I had ct related surgery (for a separate part of the same hand) about five years ago- now the pain has started up in my index and thumb.

Question- does anyone have any suggestions (aside from surgery and wearing a wrist brace) that they have found useful? How many others have this problem? I've had to stop all leatherwork and temporarily close my shop. Very depressing. Just want to know us anyone else has dealt w ct to this extent. Thanks in advance for any support.

Elaine

If you can afford it get a sewing machine. You could also do the saddle stitch a different way. Take the needle in the right and go through the holes like you normally would but only one needle. Then go back and put the left needle through the holes like it should . You wind up with a saddle stitch but you get there differently. I had to do this once when I injured my left hand and could not use it.

When you are done with the right thread it will look like every other stitch is missing on each side. Thats when you go back with the left needle and fill it in. Its annoying but it works.

Michael

I don't have CT but have some wrist and forearm pain. I use heavy rubber bands to strengthen the muscles. Wrap the rubber band over the fingers and try to open them up. One of the issues with CT and other problems like it is only one side of the muscle equation is worked. In this case, the grip is the strongest side and overpowers the other muscles causing pain. Working the muscles in the other direction builds them up and can sometimes help ease the pain if it stems from the grip side being overworked. Picked up a bag of thick bands in the craft section of walmart that work well. Works for me anyway.

Wrap the rubber band over the fingers and try to open them up.

Like this??

post-61195-0-41125100-1443902646_thumb.j

I´m not hand sewing but have CT issues in both wrists. What helped me are cortisone in injections directly into the writs every 3 - 6 month depending on if I have issues or not. So it was not a therapy but the injections last for at least 3 month (in my case) I know sometime cortisone is considered as "bad" but as alway it depends on the dose. For some reasons it became better the last few month but I still feel it when I do a lot of handwork (in general). I haven't´s had injections at least for 10 month. The "stuff" is called DIPROSONE DEPOT and comes in 1ml ampules. Don´t know if you have the same stuff in the US but I´m sure you have something similar. And believe it or not even my pollinosis became better during the season.

Like this??

I try to keep it up closer to the fingernail. You need one that is not as large, and thicker. The one I use is about 1/4" wide, and I have to stretch it just a bit to get it over my fingertips when they are closed. Of course, this also depends on your current finger strength. It's the second one shown in the video.