Aidanforsyth0

Pricing - How Much Should I Charge?

Hey there. So recently I have started to switch from crafting "american style" wallets ( thicker thread, more rugged, less refined look) to crafting more european style higher quality wallets (thinner thread, painted edges,etc.).

The exterior of this wallet is made from Horween "North of Cordovan" chromexcel horse strips (although I plan to make a very similar designed wallet with the exterior in real cordovan once I get my shipment tomorrow), and the interior is made from vegetable tanned leather. The thread is Fil Au Chinois for those who care and the edges are painted and sealed. The whole wallet is hand stitched (saddle stitched).

I'm not including material costs at this time. I'd like to ask you what you think its worth based off of the quality of the item rather than a calculated wholesale / retail formula. Thanks so much for looking

PICTURES : http://imgur.com/a/HmdHC

- Aidan

Why would you not include material cost???

The everyday consumer doesn't justify what they pay off of a formula of material cost , labor , etc. I figured I'd ask what people would pay not what my calculated cost to make a profit would be. I can include material costs and labor of necessiry

I don't think the everyday consumer would pay more than $100 and some might scoff at that price. It's hard to explain why handcrafted items cost more.

I'm also moving toward the more refined European style leatherwork so I"ll touch on that.

1) It needs a nice crease on all the edges.

2) I can't really see how nice the edges are in the pictures.

3) Stitching is good but there is room for improvement. What size thread and how many SPI? The thread may be slightly too thick for 10 SPI if that's what it is. I've been using 632 Lin Cable for 9 SPI.

Did you stitch from inside out? Personally I prefer wallets stitched from outside in.

Most of all - Although I like some Horween and have used some I don't think it has that European style look.

The pockets look like they're nicely cut and well placed. You're on your way. Keep improving.

Edited by thefanninator

I don't think the everyday consumer would pay more than $100 and some might scoff at that price. It's hard to explain why handcrafted items cost more.

I'm also moving toward the more refined European style leatherwork so I"ll touch on that.

1) It needs a nice crease on all the edges.

2) I can't really see how nice the edges are in the pictures.

3) Stitching is good but there is room for improvement. What size thread and how many SPI? The thread may be slightly too thick for 10 SPI if that's what it is. I've been using 632 Lin Cable for 9 SPI.

Did you stitch from inside out? Personally I prefer wallets stitched from outside in.

Most of all - Although I like some Horween and have used some I don't think it has that European style look.

The pockets look like they're nicely cut and well placed. You're on your way. Keep improving.

My creaser is on the way! The thread is 632, 10 spi. I agree Horween isn't for fine European style goods but the exception to me is shell cordovan which I'm getting shortly. What creaser do you use? Thanks for the advice

I have the Regad single unit with the F2 tip.

That size thread may be fine. It's always hard to tell in photos.

Having made a fair number of these, I know roughly what your cost is and I sell mine for 65.00USD but I also use veg tanned for the exteriors and I do carving on them as well. I've had no problem selling at that price and people have actually commented after receiving them, that I should be charging more. The sweet spot is around 75.00-80.00 for a wallet, especially with carving on the outside and 6 card slots.

The end game for me here is not a veg tan wallet. I plan on ordering some really high quality French calf and baby calf for the interior, so obviously not looking to hit that $85 price point where I hit now with some of my other products. I'm really looking to move up to more luxurious items. I'll be making more prototypes and tweaks and will keep you guys updated. Thanks a lot!!

The end game for me here is not a veg tan wallet. I plan on ordering some really high quality French calf and baby calf for the interior, so obviously not looking to hit that $85 price point where I hit now with some of my other products. I'm really looking to move up to more luxurious items. I'll be making more prototypes and tweaks and will keep you guys updated. Thanks a lot!!