caba

Hard Leather....tension Issues

Hi everyone , I have an issue with my machine stitching badly when working on this hard black leather I have, its been fine with softer , same thickness hide , but this hard leather is causing the stitch to meet on the lower side.......not uptaking the lower thread to meet in the middle.....I am using the same needle etc as with other hides that have caused no issues.....have tried adjusting upper tension to more tighter tension....no change...........any ideas please?....will increasing pressure foot help?

very basic information but I´d decrease the bottom tension or try a 1 or 2 sizes thicker needle

Edited by Constabulary

Hi Constabulary.....thanks for your quick reply, im very pleased...:)...i did try the bobbin tension idea.......did actually go to a smaller needle size cos the needle a #22 was punching through the bottom......the smaller needle fixed that issue.........would a larger needle , ie would a #24 be ok for a highlead GC2218-B8?.......im more keen to get a good stitch then worry about a punching effect.regards

A #22 needle suggests that the OP is using #138 (T135) bonded thread. A more appropriate needle is #23, with a chisel shaped leather point. #22 makes a very tight hole when you consider that the top and bottom threads are overlapped and form a knot that needs to be brought up.

That class 2218 is just a standard upholstery grade, medium duty, compound feed walking foot machine.

Sorry GC22618-8B....can never remember off by heart.

Am already thinking of something that sews much heavier leather....have peaked the thickness with this one already...poor machine.

yes your right Wiz..bonded nylon..M40.. can you suggest a different thread thats as durable.

im new to this so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Will get bigger needle......over in Australia not many people in my area have any idea or access to anything leather!

Takes a week to get anything in the mail.....the best state Victoria for leathercraft items is over 2000kms away.., so I have to order everything online....:)

Anyway thats life in Australia sometimes.

Thanks Again Constabulary and Wiz.............terrific!

Tried another m40 thread - grey.......tension issue gone..........any ideas?....maybe its less springy than original thread.-brown....idk...weird

Caba;

Why don't you look up Darren Brosowski, owner of Able Sewing Machines and Anne Bonny's Locker (in Australia)? I'm not sure what province he is in, but he can hook you up with good thread for your machine. Ask him about the high tenacity bonded thread that he carries. He may know other dealers closer to you.

Hi Wiz....funny enough I already have...Darren is so kind and helpful....wonderful to see he has world wide admiration......:)