HanTark

Leather Adhesive Help Needed

Hi all,

I'm curious what the best leather adhesives/cements are. I make custom leather bags, accessories (belts, cuffs....) and some miscellaneous pieces like wall hangings and leather tile rugs. I'm curious which adhesives/cement people are using and for what. There are a ton to choose from.

Could I get some suggestions for what I might use for larger projects like leather tile rugs and wall hangings and what I should use for smaller stuff like leather cuffs and bags... Any advice on the best brands/suppliers would be so appreciated!!

I use Weldwood contact cement and purchase it for $6 at Walmart. Make sure you have good ventilation when using it. Good luck

For smaller projects and less critical bonding, any PVA glue (like Fiebing's Leathercraft cement) will work. These look like Elmer's glue but, as I understand it, are latex glues. For pouches and craft items, this would likely be plenty.

For heavy-duty and critical adhesion, contact cement will be your friend. They are stinky and can be messy but they adhere most materials very well: wood, glass, rubber, Eva foam, leather, you name it. BUT most of them will _not_ work on vinyl--that requires a special contact cement. This is the stuff they use to hold the soles on work boots. The most common brands are Master and Barge, but there are others. A quart is under 20 bucks.

Thank so much guys! All of this info is helpful. I've always just used Feibings Leather Cement, but the rug I'm making with leather tiles needed something stronger & more flexible. I'll give the contact cement a go! Thanks again.

My dirty secret is I use 3m super77 spray contact adhesive quite a bit. I just lay cardboard masks over the no spray areas and go to town. The brush clean up is a breeze. In another life i used it to cover speaker boxes with carpet or vinyl or leather. Got pets? Quick spritz of ole super77 on a newspaper and leave it for a few minutes. You now have a towel sized lint roller sheet.