DrmCa

Going To Embark On Making My Own Skiving Machine

Did anyone ever try to build a skiving machine?

I cannot afford spending CDN$750 plus tax on a used bell knife skiving machine which would be the most economical option.

But I have a welder son, a lathe and a 3500 RPM 450 Wt motor from a dishwasher.

I want to try building a machine with a flat rotary knife and bought a HSS slitting saw blade off eBay, this one:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80mm-OD-3mm-Thickness-72T-HSS-Milling-Cutter-Slitting-Saw-Blade-/351220948325?hash=item51c6665d65:g:Qw0AAOSwyQtV4dxW

$_35.JPG

with the intent to grind off the teeth and sharpen it to a concave shape, then mount it on the motor shaft.

The motor would be mounted at about 20-30 degree angle so that the blade would cut off just the strip at the edge that I need.

I did not plan how exactly to guide leather through the knife and adjust the guide, it's in the contemplating stage yet.

Any critique or tips?

Still costs arm and a leg, and I forgot to mention that there is no space for another full size machine table in the house.

I will be making a desktop skiver, with built in motor and holding itself in place by its own weight.

drmca...I have a used bell knife skiving blade I'll sell you right now, if you're interested...it's in a box, ready to go out immediately.

You're looking at least $100 for materials to make anything decent.
You need motors, one to power the knife and one to power the roller, or else you need to make them both run off one, or hand-crank. Either way, that can easily add another $100-200 cost.

If your son does the metal-work for free, do you not value your time at all?
I imagine it's going to take a minimum of 20 -30 hours to get a machine that probably doesnt work.
You're going to invest a LOT of time, and a lot of materials and money and have something that doesn't work.

There's a reason they're so expensive, they're very complcated machines, that are notoriously finicky.
If you want to do it as a challenge, fine, but don't try to label it as saving money, as you're going to end up spending more than buying one to get a working machine.

In my first post in this thread, I was going to say what stevieboy7 said....but maybe not as delicately. :)

Anyway, I do have a used bell knife blade available right now if you really want to try this. :)

Oh, and FWIW, my machine runs the knife and feed wheel off of one motor.

Edited by 25b