Hey all, I'm working on my first cuff style watchband and Im wondering how to smooth out the rough flesh side??

thanks in advance

Eric

How rough is it?

There are a few ways, you could order the thickness you need and good piece shouldn't be fuzzy.

If you have a splitter you can pick a heavier piece and slit it down to the size you want and that should smooth the back if it's a good piece to start with.

If no splitter, you can use a sander.

If no sander, you could (again with a heavier piece) dampen the back and hand skive it carefully.

If it isn't too fuzzy you could rub it with beeswax. I have a sole finisher that has a fat piece of hard wood I have grooved for burnishing, on the wider part I load with wax and press the back of whatever I want to smooth down.

I'm sure there will be other suggestions. Hope there's something here that is helpfull.GH

Eric,

Try Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax and buff it with an old athletic sock until it gets the dull off. Works for me on belts etc. where I want the back somewhat smooth and sealed. Hidemech's ideas are good also where it's med. to extreme fuzz.

Indy

Anther possibility that works great for me... I have a slicker I made from a piece of 1" thick wood and covered it with leather. To slick the flesh side of my pieces, I apply some kind of wax finish (I've used different ones and they all seem to work fine), then rub over it with the edge of my slicker.

Kate

Okay, I'm ready for the heckling..

I've used a woodworking tool for that before. Sureform, I think is one name for it. It performs suprisingly well, and I've used it to uniformly reduce the thickness of some scrap before. It certainly isn't on par with a splitter, but, it'll do a good job of smoothing out the flesh side.

Hi, I'm a newbie, and maybe this answer will obviously reflect that. I've used gum tragacanth on the flesh side of leather to smooth (and burnish) it out. I use the polished edge of a long-handled screwdriver. It may work better if you slick it in one direction only, rather than a back-and-forth motion.

Edited by mikeymoto

Mikeymoto, After 30 yrs. that's pretty much what I do. Kevin

I just wet it down a little, rub it with my bar of glycerine saddle soap, and rub it with my rub stick. Rub-a-dub-dub, that's all it takes!

I tried that with my bad yak, too, but it didn't smooth him a bit, just made him mad.

Okay, I'm ready for the heckling..

I've used a woodworking tool for that before. Sureform, I think is one name for it. It performs suprisingly well, and I've used it to uniformly reduce the thickness of some scrap before. It certainly isn't on par with a splitter, but, it'll do a good job of smoothing out the flesh side.

Not going to heckle, really, but.. Surform is a brand name. They make a variety of rasps and some other tools generally intended for forming wood. I can see where some of them might work on leather and might be useful for skiving where a bunch of leather needed to be removed. But from what I know of their tools, I can't imagine one that would be good for smoothing a surface.

Doesn't mean there aren't any, I don't pretend to know all of their tools.. but Surform isn't quite enough information for someone to find the right tool with.

Hi I've sanded the piece and then used a match or candle to burn off the fuzz then applied a heavy wax sealer.

I use a liberal amount of gum tragacanth and my trusty edge slicker. Works great, I've gotten it so smooth it was hard to tell one side from t'other!