thekid77

Woven Cartridge Loops...apply Finish Before Or After?

Hi friends,

I was wondering, when weaving cartridge loops, for either a gun belt or a belt slide, I have noticed that most people recommend wetting the strap of leather before weaving them around the cartridges...

If this is the case, do you recommend dyeing, and finishing the strap that holds the loops before wetting them/weaving them through?

Thank you for sharing :)

I've made a couple of loading strips for SASS, I dye mine before I weave the wetted strap in and oil/finish them after it all dries well.

I dye, dampen and burnish first then apply finish at the end.

I cannot keep even a decent burnish on the bullet loops. I bevel the inside edge before I weave it through the backstrap and just leave it after.

Once I wet the loop strap and pull it through the backstrap, I destroy any burnishing that I had on the bullet strap.

I dye, dampen and burnish first then apply finish at the end.

Thank you!!

I cannot keep even a decent burnish on the bullet loops. I bevel the inside edge before I weave it through the backstrap and just leave it after.

Once I wet the loop strap and pull it through the backstrap, I destroy any burnishing that I had on the bullet strap.

Thank you for sharing. About the burnishing part.....I wonder how others accomplish this.....I'm thinking maybe after dyeing and finishing the edges, just get a damp sponge and take it to the flesh side (carefully not soaking the burnished edges.....