LewSchiller

Consew 146Rb - Need Advice Re: Feed Dog

Is there any Common Wisdom regarding Walking Foot machines and their performance in reverse?

The 146RB is a Walking Foot machine that does both straight and zig-zag stitch.

We do a lot of work with Neoprene and this machine is ideal for that.

I know..this is a Leather forum..but it's the only place I know where I can come and ask questions about industrial machines. We also have a Singer 16-188 that performs well for light / medium leather work.

It works well in general but not so much in reverse. I got to thinking that perhaps the reason is that the feed dog teeth are angled to the rear to such a degree that it can't get traction in reverse. I've looked online for alternative dogs and walking feet for the 146 but didn't find anything useful.

Any help and guidance appreciated!

Edited by LewSchiller

Send us some pics of the feed dog. Seiko makes the same machine under a different model number. We need a part number off the Consew.

glenn

Thanks!

Consew part number is 724 or 724a

I can't upload a photo to this site...not sure how I can get it to you other than by direct email.

Sewing neoprene on a 146RB should not be a problem. Consew offers for example a WS, or Wet Suit model 347 feed off the arm zig zag. What differs from the standard 347 is the addition of a pressure foot spring, to add more pressure foot pressure. This is the same sewing mechanism on your 146RB, but in a flat bed model. I don't think you need the additional pressure, per say, but make sure you have a lot to sew neoprene.

Now, if the feed dog's pitch is off, this may create an issue. The feed dog, as it travels up through the needle plate, should be relatively level with the bed of the machine. If the feeder is high on one side and low on the other, there is a problem that needs to be corrected, and it may not be an easy fix.

The feed dog carrier could have been made improperly. One thing you can try to do is put some type of spacer under the feed dog and carrier to level it out, don't forget to lower the feed dog height most likely here.

I can't do anything more without seeing, touching and feeling, and even then, I would need to see the actual machine in order to diagnose the real issue, and I'm really only guessing here.

post-14272-0-64320200-1449066561_thumb.j

Hi Gregg,

Thanks for the reply!

The feed dog is - if anything - slightly (Italics to indicate a miniscule amount) higher on the right side.

I don't see a ready adjustment for that.

It sews neoprene well - but we also call on it to sew fabric covered neoprene.

Not the nylon skin on the neoprene but decorative fabric over that.

The feed dog is aggressive as I'd expect to sew neoprene, and it's got a bit of a rearward pitch.

I'd like to find alternative dogs that would be more akin to those used to sew fabric material.

Does that make any sense?

Standard feeder and plate have four rows of teeth, Consew does have a six row feeder and plate as well. The are not cheap, about $200 for both, and add two rows of teeth in front, same as in the back. Don't know how much, if at all, this would help out with sewing your goods. Especially without seeing the machine's current setup.

Right.

Well thanks for all your help.

It sounds as if there aren't a lot of options for this machine when it comes to WF and FD.

But for what it's meant to do it's just the ticket :-)