JamesR

Belt Punch Jig

Hello,

I want to make a centering jig for belt punches.

Does anyone know what the diameter of the shank(not the hole) is for the different punches on the market like Osborne, Weaver, etc

I want to make a guide hole for the shank of the punch to slide into. This would be a problem if the shank diameters are all different.

Thanks

The diameters of the two 1/4" punches I have are right at 3/8th". Every sized punch has a different diameter shank...but I don't have Weaver punches, so I can't speak on them.

You might consider using a Jacob's chuck to hold the shank - that way you have an adjustable way to hold anything up to ~1/2" (common drill bit chuck size).

Weaver makes a centering jig for hand work that's compatible with their round and oval punches.

My weaver oblong punch has a square handle, not round. Due to the nature of how these tools are manufactured, sanded, and polished, I would imagine there is tremendous variation among tools of the same brand.

Edited by Colt W Knight

Thanks for the replies.

Colt, I was not too clear. I was only referring to round punches. A centering jig for the oblong punches would be good too.

I have Weaver oblong punches and what you say is true.

I want to make a jig similar to the Weaver jig.

I was hoping to save some money on the punches.

If the Osborne shanks are different diameters then I will have to reconsider.

My weaver oblong punch has a square handle, not round. Due to the nature of how these tools are manufactured, sanded, and polished, I would imagine there is tremendous variation among tools of the same brand.

I'm not talking about oblong punches. You'd have to make your own jig for those with three pieces of leather.

I'm talking about Weaver round and oval punches. The Master Tools range are compatible with Weaver's adjustable centering jig.

See: http://www.weaverleathersupply.com/Catalog/ItemContent.aspx?ItemNumber=29291&CatalogId=001&CatalogDetailId=42&NSM=Y

I want to make a jig similar to the Weaver jig.

I was hoping to save some money on the punches.

You can make a workable jig with three pieces of leather. Two layers — the top has your punch holes centered for whatever width you need. The bottom layer is two pieces that center your strap under the holes stitched to the top.

This is a step up from the standard single layer template people use. Makes it easier to crank blanks out without thinking.

Al my CS Osborne hole punches have different diameter shanks.