GuitarLeatherDopeFiend

In Need Of Pattern/dimensions For Rifle Sling - Help Greatly Appreciated

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help! So, my aunt and her husband have asked me to make a rifle sling for a Christmas present for my Grandma, because she just got a new rifle. But I have never made a rifle sling before, I've had many requests, but I've never been able to find a standard pattern or dimensions on the internet, I could only find out how many different styles there are, and ended up with far more questions than answers. I know I want to make a simple adjustable strap about 2" wide with a taper at the ends, and that's about it. I'm not sure if it consists of two pieces, or just one long one, but the longest leather straps I have available are roughly 3', as I have already cut my hide to get a maximum yield of guitar straps. Will this be long enough, or will I have to order a long pre-cut strap for this project? A list of the hardware required and a "standard" length for the strap(s) would be awesome, and very much appreciated! Thanks again in advance!

-Aaron

Most of em are pretty simple. I don't like the idea of multiple pieces, as a rule, but it can be and IS done safely. But IF you're using more than one piece, I'd recommend stitched together. Buckles add weight, can come apart, and can cause glare and noise which both scare game.

For those "cobra" style flared straps, "standard" is between 41-44" long over all -- so the longest adjustment is about 38" between swivels. Stock swivels often 1" wide, so the ends of the strap tapered to about 7/8" wide doesn't hurt a thing. Then just a matter of a screw on each end to make it adjustable.

Common to see a suede "patch" on teh back, though the value of that depends on the type of leather you're using. With veg tan tooling leather, you aren't gaining anything (tip: the back is already suede), but I find it's a plus on english bridle, which can be a bit slippy on the back.

Alternately, you can make a 1" straight strap, and then add a "pad" that slides on teh strap.

What JLS said, most of the ones I make are 2-1/4" at the widest point tapering down to 1" and the top piece is 1" wide as well. I make them from 9/10 ounce Hermann Oak and they are 44" from tip to tip with adjustment holes. Black River Laser (Blackriverlaser.com) has several rifle sling templates for sale one of them is my design. There are videos on youtube under chief31794 (me) showing how to make rifle slings.

If you prefer not to buy a template (probably not necessary if you're only going to make one), then the dimensions above should work for you.

Chief

Thank you JLS and Chief for such quick and helpful responses! Chief, your video was very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post such helpful videos. So I think I will go off your dimensions, and maybe order a template somewhere down the line. It looked to me like you punched a total of five holes on the bottom piece, about three inches apart, is that correct? I want to thank you both again, every time I have asked for help on this forum, I've been met with extremely promt and helpful replies from pros looking to help beginners and intermediates like myself, so thank you for giving back to the trade, rather than leaving me in the dust! Thanks, and much respect!

-Aaron

Thank you JLS and Chief for such quick and helpful responses! Chief, your video was very helpful, thank you for taking the time to post such helpful videos. So I think I will go off your dimensions, and maybe order a template somewhere down the line. It looked to me like you punched a total of five holes on the bottom piece, about three inches apart, is that correct? I want to thank you both again, every time I have asked for help on this forum, I've been met with extremely promt and helpful replies from pros looking to help beginners and intermediates like myself, so thank you for giving back to the trade, rather than leaving me in the dust! Thanks, and much respect!

-Aaron

I think they are actually 2" on centers and yes there are five of them.

THanks for the nice comments on my videos.

Chief