thekid77

A Better Way To Stitch Belt Keeper Loops?

hey friends, I have made a few belt keepers and was wondering what is your way of stitching them?

I was using tiger thread but the knot seems to want to come undone (maybe because the thread is waxed?).......anyway, what I started doing is not tying a knot at all, but butrning the ends of the thread to prevent the thread from slipping out....

does anybody else do this?

I really want to stitch the keepers and not use an ugly staple....any recommendations? Thanks :)

I knot and burn all the ends of my threads. I'm pretty sure my local leather guy does too.

I knot and burn all the ends of my threads. I'm pretty sure my local leather guy does too.

Thanks, yeah I believe that is the route that I'm going to go as well.....thank you!!

Just stitch the keeper into the belt fold.

I think the manner of stitching will also depend on how you make the keeper. Instead of a butt joint, I skive the ends and make a lapped joint (glued, too). Then after stitching it, I just back tack to lock the threads down. BTW, curved needles come in handy for this type of sewing.

I lap skive and drop in a double stitch then burn the ends

Just stitch the keeper into the belt fold.

thanks fan, unfortunately that's not an option because it needs to be a floating keeper in this case :)

I think the manner of stitching will also depend on how you make the keeper. Instead of a butt joint, I skive the ends and make a lapped joint (glued, too). Then after stitching it, I just back tack to lock the threads down. BTW, curved needles come in handy for this type of sewing.

thank you, I had forgotten about a lap skive but seems like it would be the best way to do this :)

I lap skive and drop in a double stitch then burn the ends

thank you!!