Mike516

Granite Slab, What Should I Put Under It

I found a rather large piece of broken granite with three decent edges and I'm having the jagged end cut off. I'm having it cut to the width of my HF workbench so it's gonna be around 20" X 25" with 3 raw sides and some cement, which shouldn't be too much of a bother since the only side I'll need to contend with is the one that's being cut today and she said it would be straight.

I been using a sink cut out for the last few years with a poundo board under it and I like the way this works.

Is there anything similar to the poundo board I could use to put under the larger piece of granite? Maybe something that I could cut to size myself. It should be around 19 X 24 with a half inch less on every side, so pretty specific.

That's not a bad idea, thanks!!!

I use rubber drawer liner material from walmart under my slab. Dirt cheap and works great, keeps the slab from moving and deadens sound a little bit. The mud flap would probably work great too alot more material to absorb sound & vibration.

You could also try a rubber mat they use in horse trailers and cut it to the size you need. usually come in 4'x6'x1/2".

Fill all the space between the granite and the ground with concrete. That'll make it solid... :spoton:

As a temporary measure, a damp cloth underneath will prevent the slab from sliding around, till you find something better. Something like an old towel or two layers of T shirt material

All good suggestions. I think I might go with rubber padding like they use for roll-away drawers and cut to size. The thing is 2 1/2 inches thick and 20 X 25, so I don't think it's going to move around very much. I could barely get it in my car it's so heavy. I was hoping after they cut the jagged part of it would be a little lighter. I'm a little concerned about my HF workbench holding up LOL.

I have another small issue. Like I said, they cut the jagged end off for me and cut off the side that had cement on it for free so I'm not complaining at all. Matter of fact I don't know them and they didn't have to do this so I want to make the owner something for doing it for free. And they're nice super straight edges, I couldn't be happier.

But the edges are pretty sharp. I was wondering if there was anything I could use to file them down just so they're not so sharp? It doesn't have to be a lot, just like 1/32 of an inch. Just to get the edge off it. And it only really needs to be the edge facing me. I only work from one side of it and no one else should be near it so not worried about the other edges. I just don't want to put holes in all my t-shirts leaning against it. I'll have to start telling people I have moth problems :) Maybe there's a sand paper I can use. I have the standard compliment of tools; drills, roto sip, sawzall, skill saws, etc so nothing like they show in how to video's and don't really want to buy one to edge like 2 feet once and never use it again.

post-27080-0-23287600-1449850995_thumb.j

Depending on availability, the trailer mat or the mats used for floors in horse stalls, rubber belting on conveyor belts for sand, gravel in concrete or highway aggregate plants. If you bring a big chunk of any of those home you will soon find other uses for the excess. As for smoothing up, go to a grave monument or countertop shop to see how they do it

Edited by oltoot

This is what I was looking at to put under it: http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W1322-Anti-Vibration-24-Inch/dp/B000OQTV2I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Unfortunately, they all use machines or power tools for rounding the edges.

Use a cheap diamond file or dremel bit from harbour freight. Or get an old masonary circular saw blade and do it by hand. Not the stone type, the metal ones with diamond particles bonded to it. Just rub it up and down the corner like sandpaper.

If you want to make the slab suppliers something, Google 'leather wrist support'. My dad was a bricklayer, and he liked to use one of those when he was doing a lot of heavy work

Or a leather apron. But you might decide that would be too much to give for free

Or some king of half - glove or palm protector

Or just a simple wallet

To smooth the edges of the slab by hand use a coarse file, something like an 8" or 10" first cut, and be willing to wear it out.

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions. The HF dremel bit looks like a good idea. I've had a lot of luck with them and it looks like they have a couple of options that might work.

As for the granite person...the one I spoke to seemed like the woman in charge or possibly the owner. She doesn't do the actual work but she's definitely the one who gave me the cut for free. The guys working there just do what she tells them. I make leather dog collars so I'm going to make a personalized one for her Maltese. Never made one that small but I think I'll be ok, just needed to order a small buckle.

Edited by Mike516

Here is a picture of how I fixed mine, works great for me. Hope these come out not sure how to post pics.

post-23953-0-27259500-1449976658_thumb.j

post-23953-0-29468500-1449976680_thumb.j

I was going to do that because of the sharp edges, build a box for it. But I really wanted the edges to not have a lip on them. So I went to HF as was suggested and my father-in-law told me to use the 4 sided diamond file for 10 bucks and it took the edge off in less than a minute. I don't know why the granite people were so insistent that hand tools wouldn't work. Possibly because they didn't understand I just wanted to take the edge off and not hone it down to rounded. Anyway, here is the result. I can't believe how heavy this thing is. I hope I never have to move it again.

post-27080-0-53210100-1450027692_thumb.j

post-27080-0-05310400-1450027702_thumb.j

I was going to do that because of the sharp edges, build a box for it. But I really wanted the edges to not have a lip on them. So I went to HF as was suggested and my father-in-law told me to use the 4 sided diamond file for 10 bucks and it took the edge off in less than a minute. I don't know why the granite people were so insistent that hand tools wouldn't work. Possibly because they didn't understand I just wanted to take the edge off and not hone it down to rounded. Anyway, here is the result. I can't believe how heavy this thing is. I hope I never have to move it again.

How do they think they built with stone before power tools...........by hand. Now that i think of it, after millennia with little change, stone building dropped off drastically in the 1800s as power tool use rose in the industrial revolution set in. Structural steel was the way now that we had machines big enough to produce it.

I think they didn't mean that hand tools wouldn't work at all. I think they didn't understand what I wanted to do. They probably thought I wanted to put a counter top like edge on it.

They were extremely nice and I wasn't going to argue. I figured I'd be able to figure it out and knew there is always someone here that did 'it' before.

Glad you got things worked out, mine really doesn't have a "lip" per se the box is level with the granite. I followed some advice I found on here and there are two pieces of 3/4 Plywood under it. Nice piece you found there good luck.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I picked up a roll of rubber shelf lining while I was at HF. There is absolutely no rebound with the mallet on this granite, so I probably didn't even need it. But I'm not lifting the slab again to get it out even if I wanted to lol.

Some neoprene will absorb shock and keep it from moving around.

Try and find a used yoga mat. Cut it to size...