Uwe

Consew 225

I've accumulated too many sewing machines with nearly identical capabilities and it's time to thin the herd.

This machine sews like a champ and she has starred in several YouTube videos I've made over time. The hook timing video is perhaps the best one to watch to get an idea of the the condition she's in:

This video shows how thick stack of veg tan leather she can sew:

I've installed a new Hirose hook as well as a new feed dog, throat plate, and presser feet. I've gone through the adjustments as shown in the video.

She received a careful repaint job a few months ago, so she looks all pretty in hammered silver. I tapped holes on the back to install a swing-down guide and I'll include a new KG-867 guide.

The price is $550 for the head.

I can box her up for shipping if you like, but you'll have to pay for shipping. I'd package her really well with foam pads and a box-within-a-box. The shipping weight is just under 70 lbs and the box has outer dimensions of about 13"x20"x24".

If you're within 100 miles of Detroit, we can arrange pickup or delivery, or meet somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Uwe

Sale pending for this machine.

I still have it and my confidence is waning that the original buyer is in the position to follow through on the purchase.

Just out of curiosity, what would be involved with getting a table, motor etc. set up with this machine.......if one was to just buy the head........thanks..........Don

To make a complete setup, you'll need a tabletop with a suitable cut-out, K-legs with a pedal, a motor, and a belt. Most people who consider buying just a machine head already have a few machines and want to upgrade, or they've built or mixed/matched a few heads and tables and are not intimidated by the task.

I wouldn't recommend going that route if it's your first machine.

It's not that hard if you're handy and once you've done it a few times, but I can imagine it being very frustrating starting from scratch without a reference point.

On the plus side, the industrial tables and motors are interchangeable to a large degree. The whole system is designed for the factory where if a machine fails, the tech stops by and quickly swaps machine heads to keep the worker productive, while the tech works on the faulty head in the shop.

Motors are compact and easy to ship, they run about $130-$150 shipped for simple, good servo motors like the FSM-550 series available from the banner vendors.

K-legs (or H-legs) are also easy to ship when they're in pieces inside a carton, like an erector set. Those run perhaps $80-$100 shipped.

The table tops nowadays are cheap laminated particleboard affairs, but they're big,heavy, awkward and relatively expensive to ship. You're looking at $100-$120 shipped. Make sure you tell the vendor what sewing machine it's for so they know what cutout you need.

The belt can come from your local hardware store or automotive parts store. Just about any "3L" type V-Belt will do as long as it's about the right length within a 2"-3" range. Getting the right length can be tricky and you won't know for sure what length you need until you have the table set up, the motor installed and the machine sits in the table. Lucky for me my local non-chain hardware store has a large selection of cheap ($6-$9) belts in 1" increments from under 20" to over 50" in length. I bought one belt at an automotive store and the poor clerk was utterly confounded after I couldn't provide a year and model of my car, and "I need a 3L V-belt between 40-42 inches long" did not compute with him.

The total table+motor setup new from scratch runs about $300-$400 shipped. Not exactly cheap if bought separately. Package deals from vendors usually lower that cost to some degree, since everything gets shipped on one pallet. If you have a local-ish industrial sewing machine dealer, you can save a lot on shipping costs and probably get a complete table/motor setup for $200-$250.

You can also scan local craigslist for a complete, cheap setup ( I saw a vintage $150 Singer, and a new-ish $350 Yamato with servo motor in your area listings) and then swap out the head and sell the original head again on CL ("Works! Sews everything!") I bought one machine simply because the table was beautiful and the whole setup was only $150.

Again, I wouldn't recommend going that route if it's your first machine.

Thanks........Not my first machine as I have several.......with that being said, it would be my first experience with setting up a machine head to a full working table mounted machine......My route might be to find a inexpensive, used total set-up that has a machine head that I don't use, but a servo motor and trade it out......anyway, thank you.....I was just checking to see if it even is a possibility.....Don

Something like this Yamata FY5318 setup on CL might be a good candidate in your area. Nice looking garment class machine, table and a servo motor. You should be able to swap heads without major modifications (other than removing the Yamato's oil sump pan, which often just sits in the opening).

post-56402-0-00018100-1454444471_thumb.p

post-56402-0-57546100-1454444548_thumb.j