Heathj

I Wonder If I Can Do This?

Hi all, I was surfing around the internet when I came across this site. I started looking at pics of what some of you are making and I felt this tug to make something out of leather. I especially love the briefcases, some of those are just plain amazing looking. So after a week or two of mulling it over, I told the wife to buy me a starter kit for Christmas and I plan to give it a go.

My question is.........I have ZERO artistic talent. I can't draw, I've never really "made" anything and to be honest, I stink at even the smallest handyman projects around my house. I'm not being down on myself, this is just an honest assessment.

So I wonder if someone like me can learn the craft and ever actually make something that someone else would look at and say, "That's pretty nice." ?

I know that practice practice practice is what I will have to do, but I guess my real question is, were any of you in a similar situation as me and then turned out to be pretty good leather crafters or do most people already have some artistic talent before they started?

Thanks and I would like to say, these forums seem pretty awesome and I would love to be a part of this community.

Heath

The worst artist block you can throw up is saying that you are not an artist. Or you can't draw. You need to add the word YET everytime you say these things. You can be your own worst critic, just don't be your own roadblock. Everyone can make stuff.

Watch youtube videos. Take note of things you would like to do. Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson along with many others have tons of videos.

If you don't draw so good yet, stay away from carving for the start, and stick to learning and practicing hand stitching for example. Use templates for projects, and use a ruler to mark stitch lines. This will help with early success. You can buy templates at leather stores/online or scour this site for free ones.

As for learning finishing, get a big bag of scraps similar to the leather you are using for projects and go to town with the finishes you have. Put this on top of that, try thin coats, thick coats etc. Find what works, be like a kid at a finger-paint table. The instructions on leather finish products generally suck because they are all used soooooo many ways...Have fun and find your groove.

Be careful of leather/tool suppliers who sell you things you don't need. Some of them are very good about it. Do your research on here, and go in with a list. If they suggest anything that strays from the list, start to be on guard. If the list doubles before you leave the store, they saw you coming.

Also, just by posting, you are a part of our community, Welcome.

tt

Edited by TinkerTailor

Yes, you can.

My advice: focus on construction first. Then move on to decoration. In other words, learn how to cut leather, and then teach yourself the ways that two pieces of leather can be joined together, by hand or machine. You might check out the Al Stohlman books - ignoring everything that deals with tooling (which is decoration) and concentrating on all the things about cutting and stitching.

I agree with SantaFeMarie 100%. Decoration is easy. Whether you beat it with a chain, spray paint on it, or tool and stamp it, all that is secondary to first making a

well built item. I think you'll find that leather work construction is pretty straight forward. Oh there are things you have to watch out for, but a well built item

looks good on it's own.

Well of course you can do it!

BUT start with something simple. This will get you used to the tools, techniques and the jargon. It will also be less frustrating and give you confidence from actually making something.

Start with a key fob for yourself and your wife, and don't throw them away! Even if you make something better in the future. They will be something to remind you of how you started.

A key fob can show you - pattern making; cutting out; saddle stitching; stitch grooving; edge bevelling; staining; tooling, depending on how far you want to go

There is loads of information & advice on this forum, just work your way through old threads, especially on Getting Started' and 'Tools'

Likewise there are lots of videos on YouTube, just search for 'leatherwork'

You will learn that the key to leatherwork is to keep your tools absolutely razor sharp. There are threads on this forum, and videos on YouTube. You should be able to make your own strop easily & cheaply enough.

These two videos are good on simple projects that will still show you the techniques and give you something worthwhile at the end

'How to make a Simple hand made Leather Wallet' by Armitage Leather

'Coin and Card Wallets' by Leodis Leather

In fact anything by Leodis or Armitage is worth watching

Edited by zuludog

Thanks for the answers. I am going to give it a try.

This is the first Christmas in years that I have actually been excited about getting a gift!

HEATHJ - Welcome to the fun!

As you progress you will find that a starter kit will have some things you hardly ever use and there will be some things you need that it doesn't have. But it will do for a start - hence the name!

I have a friend who does stone carving, and she says the same about her hobby; that's just the way things go.

You will need something for cutting.

The green plastic cutting mats are reasonably cheap and easily available. Get the biggest you can manage

There are several different kinds of knives, and the choices are discussed over & over again on this forum. But the easiest to start with is a cheap snap blade knife from your local discount store

These are two books that are often recommended --

The Art of Hand Sewing Leather by Al Stohlman. I suspect you will have bought a Tandy starter kit; this book is usually included in the kit

The Leatherworking Handbook - A Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of Techniques and Projects by Valerie Michael - This has tools, methods, and simple projects - something else for a Christmas present!

I've just re - read your original post. Don't worry if you're not very good at art; neither am I, nor, I suspect are a lot of other members of this forum. At least in the early stages you won't have to draw anything from scratch or freehand

There are patterns & templates available on this forum; in handbooks; and from catalogues and suppliers. I think Nigel Armitage has a set of patterns for his wallets; watch the video to check.

Leatherwork is a mixture that is part art and part practicality - mechanics & techniques if you like. By starting simple you will gradually acquire skill & confidence, working at a level that is just demanding enough to hold your interest, but not so much that it becomes frustrating

For example, you would not suggest that an ancient technophobe such as myself starts off with a high level (is that the right term?) computer game, or at least I hope not!

You would choose a game & console suitable for beginners and progress from there. Same goes for leatherwork

Projects like a simple wallet will show you the techniques, and are mostly straight lines anyway - oh yes, you'll need a decent steel ruler as well

Best Wishes Zuludog

Edited by zuludog

Thanks Zul, it is a Tandy starter kit. I plan to start small and see if it is something I will enjoy.

I started with a Tandy kit too, you will love leather working. There is just something about it!

I wasn't going to post under this thread again, I think you;ve probably got enough advice & information to be going on with, but I thought I'd tell you this

I've just come back from doing some shopping and my local general store had a display box of key fobs on the counter. They're not very good, I'm sure even a beginner could do better.

The price was £ 3 - 50 each; that's about $ 5 - 60

Even the true artists tend to pick a media and stick with it, you will occasionally see them branch out, but they always seem to come back. Some realize that they are not particularly good in some media and stay away from it. I am not an artist, I am a mechanic. I can draw things, but it always ends-up looking like a flowchart or a schematic. I can draw if I have to, but it looks like early cave man. However, If I see it, I can make it, and if you see enough stuff you can develop your own style of things. Start by making some pretty simple things, like some of Ian Atkinson's pattern kits from his Etsy site. These will give you the feel for making things and an idea if you want to continue it. When you get a little experience, and can determine good and bad ways of doing things, go to a high end store and look at the leather goods. The store personnel will probably try to help you but they kind of expect manly men to look carefully at construction as opposed to style. Get some style ideas, but check out the construction. Don't be surprised if they break every rule in the book, and also don't be surprised if you get the feeling that you can make a better bag than they do, because you usually can.

DO NOT QUIT. Anyone can become a good leatherworker, it is just a matter of how long you work at it, and having a good mentor. In today's world, leatherworker.net is a pretty good mentor. There is more diversified experience here (in many other disciplines too) than in any school (if one existed) or shop. A question not asked is the only stupid question.

Art

All good and encouraging advice.

In Tinkers first post he noted the word "YET" We all start somewhere and hopefully improve our skills with every project

I'm not as good at it as others are YET, and may never be an artist, but I can appreciate how good others are, and enjoy the achievements as they happen for me.

Thanks again to everyone that responded, it is making me see that leather working is something I can do!