Sovran81

29K Question

I finally had time to put all the new parts(take up leaver adjuster, feed cam, needlebar, needlebar bushing, and bushing/plate that tensions the tension discs) into my 29k56 but I can't remember if the pressor foot should touch the needle plate in the down position. I have about 1/16" gap between the plate and foot. It grips 3-4oz leather and seems to feed properly, I just want it to check with those more familiar with the patchers. If the foot should touch the plate, where do you adjust this?

Just as you prefer. As far as I remember since the 29K51 the Singer 29K series have this adjustable foot hight feature (the 2 nuts). My 29K71 (pretty much the same machine but short arm) is NOT touching the needle plate. Advantage is when you "accidentally" drop the foot it will not bang on the needles plate. As long as it is feeding well I´d leave it as is but you probably have to make an adjustment when you want to sew thinner materials.

post-31854-0-36146500-1450901009_thumb.j

Ok thanks Constabulary. I thought the 2 nuts were the adjustment even though it didnt seem to lower it. I didnt pull the "bolt" out so there could be a little gunk keeping it from fully bottoming. I think I will leave it since it is feeding well.

One other question. The last bit of play in the top end which affects needle position is the pivot pin on the drive arm. The pin pivots in the body of the machine and is tight in the arm. Have you ever heard of anyone reaming the pin holes to accept bushings to get rid of the play?

I had to drill through both ears on the body and the driver arm and put a new, larger, pin in. The amount of wear to produce slack was only .020" on my machine, but due to the length of the arm, it multiplies a lot by the time you reach the needle bar. I simply drilled right thru and then polished the hole a bit with emery cloth on a dowel until I had a tight fit, then removed the arm and sanded out the body holes until the pin turned freely with no play.

That would work. Thanks Gump. Heck it took 60 years to give the current play.