Brooks125

Bottom Stitch Tension On A Cb3200

I'm having trouble on some of my thicker pieces with the bottom stitches not pulling up through the material, leaving "loops" of thread on the bottom stitch. I'm sure it's a tension problem, but don't know where to make my adjustment. 99% of the time, everything looks great, until I get to the thickness limits of the machine or when I'm making a tight corner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are getting bottom loops, increase the top tension. Thicker materials need more to pull the bottom loop up due to friction in material etc.

Sadly, most of the sewing machines we use in leather work are not self-adjusting regarding balancing the knots. Perhaps they will be in 2017...

Until then, when knots form on the bottom layer, one or more of these adjustments usually helps.

• Tighten top tension by wrapping the top thread once around the guide post on top of machine. This also counteracts twisty thread tending to twist up out of the center of the top tension disks.
  • Loosen the bobbin tension a half turn at a time. You only need a smooth steady pull on the bobbin.
  • Move up one needle size. A bigger hole makes it easier to pull the thread up.
  • Increase pressure on presser foot. This presses the work down a little more and may help set the stitches inside the material.

Thanks guys, that seems to have fixed the problem. I knew it had to be something simple, but I hate to start cranking adjustments in hopes that it will fix whatever problem. Thanks again

I used a paint pen to make marks on the tension dials so i can count how many half and full revolutions i change it, That way i know how far to go back to get it at the previous setup. If you only change one thing at a time, it is also easier to get things tuned. You can easily get messed up by changing multiple settings at the same time.