leathervan

What Can I Use To Mark Leather

I need to mark my leather with something that can be rubbed off yet is permanent enough so that I can work with the leather without the marks rubbing off. Any solutions?

Depends on the leather. The two things you will need to deal with are the actual marks, the other is the pressure indentations marking the leather makes. Chrome tanned leather does not show pressure marks as much. Raw veg tan, your only way is to hide the marks in the design. It will mark and stain from pretty much anything. Again, there is so much variance in types of leather their is no right answer, aside from the one you discover works for you and the leather you work with. Play around on scraps. Marking the backside is a common workaround.

Edited by TinkerTailor

on relatively smooth chrome tan I have found that marking with gel pen can be erased by rubbing lightly with alcohol. I'm using soft colored chalk right now for veg.

on relatively smooth chrome tan I have found that marking with gel pen can be erased by rubbing lightly with alcohol. I'm using soft colored chalk right now for veg.

I know some chalks use wax as the binder in varying quantities to keep it in the stick form, careful with the alcohol here in unfinished areas. The wax may haunt you. If the chalk does not have any its probably best. I don't know if it is scientific, but i hold a flame to it and see if the chalk softened, if it does i assume wax binder. If it stays hard when hot i assume i am safe.

Never had a problem with leather but with canvas, I accidentally ironed my chalk marks into a project. Would not have happened with wax free chalk.

If you're using flat pattern pieces use a "Dust Bag", Cut about 4 inches of a cotton sock off the toe. Fill with talcum powder, tie it off and pat the edges of your pattern.

If you need lines steal from the tailors... a sliver of hand soap.

I usually mark from the backside of the leather and use a ball point pen (not gel)