PineyWoodsRooter

Clones And Originals

On subject of sewing machines, I was able to pick up a Wheeler and Wilson "8" treadle a while back. But on another note: could anyone help on this one.

Been talking to my Aunt for a few years on this subject, machine capable of sewing leather and upholstery. She has an Adler 267gk-373, and my other Aunt has a TACSEW T 622R. She recalls having the tables in storage but has the head at home with her. She does not remember much about them except she did some seat cover work and boat covers, just this week said she would be interested in selling to me.

Question, which is a better machine for sewing soft furniture leathers and car seat leather/vinyl. Believe they are both walking foot (from what Aunt said), which is what have been told I need. Any help appreciated.

If I were you, I'd be REALLY nice to my aunt with the Adler 267GK373. It should be perfect for sewing upholstery type projects. Don't know much about that TacSew, other than it's a clone of sorts and has zigzag. If you don't want the Adler, I'll take it - just sayin' :-)

Edited by Uwe

The movie is from after the time that they went to the arsenal system

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/1592

not sure but i think they were assembled painted??

The machine production is obviously after the introduction of the arsenal system as prior to that they could not punch through those sorts of numbers!!

Needles are a precision art :)

Sorry, iam off on another subject, but did you see how long they took making those needles!! and it does look like they fitted the machines after they were painted Darren?? at least thats what the film shows?

A great example is the Singer model 15 domestic.

Original production was the long beak shuttle as used in the 17/18 class but the later version with a bobbin case with a "finger" (similar to the 31 bobbin case) was stolen from the Germans!!!!

I prefer to think of it all as design fusion between companies.

Who built what and when is a good story but would be an incomplete story without info on who patented what, and who stole/borrowed/bought/rented such patents, as well as the stories of who forgot to patent things they should have.

Everybody was paying everyone to use patents. Others modified the item just enough to get out of the patent scope.

Anyone have info on whether or not I can replace/attach a walking foot to a TACSEW T622R, that does not currently have one on it?

**Another note my Aunt is giving me a quote of $900 on the Adler, is that a deal or not? Thanks

Depends;

If it is a walking foot then NO and why would you want to?

If it is a straight sewer then a simple matter of screwing on the roller foot although changing the feed dog and needle plate to a single row type may be an idea.

Anyone have info on whether or not I can replace/attach a walking foot to a TACSEW T622R, that does not currently have one on it?

**Another note my Aunt is giving me a quote of $900 on the Adler, is that a deal or not? Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

A walking foot machine has two interlinked bars containing presser and vibrating feet. The inside foot extends under the needle bar and moves forward and backward and up and down with the needle, in sync with the feed dog. The outer foot moves up and down, securing the work as the feed dog and needle move forward for the next stitch. You either have or don't have a walking foot machine.

Domestic (home) sewing machines have screw on attachments that are sometimes called walking foot attachments. They are actually just follow feet to keep layers of cloth from separating under the foot. The feet do not help transport the material and do less than nothing on leather.

I don not believe that the Tacsew T622 is anything more than a high speed straight stitch (garment) sewing machine. If it has one static presser foot bar in addition to the needle bar, and the needle only moves up and down, it is a straight stitch machine. A walking foot machine has three bars coming down.

Edited by Wizcrafts