deloid

Lower Gusset Tuck In Briefcase

Saw this lower gusset tuck in a briefcase and liked the functionality (stiffens the bottom). I see that the gusset is cut and rolled in but don't quite see how it is tacked down on the inside. I'm sure that this is a common technique...just can't find any references in the internet.

Thanks!

post-9405-0-19562600-1452468552_thumb.jp

post-9405-0-07995100-1452468553_thumb.jp

deloid,

I do something like this all the time.

post-9957-0-25467400-1452695077_thumb.jp

post-9957-0-88137900-1452695102_thumb.jp

Edited by JamesR

soccerdad,

When I attach it this way the inside flap has "wings" that close up the corners better for me.

I used to stitch the lower flap first but recently I started doing the sides first, not sure which is better.

The strip running across the bottom helps form the bottom and extends to the edges to meet the flaps on

the sides.

I make all my cases with a wrap around bottom which I believe is stronger then a wrap around gusset.

post-9957-0-09236100-1452700324_thumb.jp

post-9957-0-13619400-1452700340_thumb.jp

I don't know, have not tried it. I have seen light with the bottom flap turned out though.

Just to clarify I am not contending one way is better then the other. It is just my opinion that the flap closes up the lower corners better.

I also prefer the way it looks.

It's great to get your ideas, JamesR. I didn't think you were claiming too much at all. This is just a place to talk about how we do things. Thanks for the idea and the photos. Much appreciated.

Dale

Well thank you!

For me the ideas are easier then the execution. I really need to work on my stitching skills.

Jim

Thanks James-

Well demonstrated in your pictures and comments. I believe that this roll-in adds additional rigidity to the bottom.