Wontonman

Difficulties Designing Template

I'm attempting to design what I originally thought would be a simple template for my first "original" item but its proving to be much much more difficult than I had imagined.

I'm trying to make a small belt pouch that would only require 4 pieces;

• 1 long rectangular piece for the front, bottom, back and flap that would be bent into a rectangular box shape
  • 1 piece for each of the left and right sides to be sewn to the large rectangle( originally these were going to be rectangles also but I realized that bending the main piece leaves a semi circle gap at the bottom
  • 1 smaller rectangle on the back of the pouch to function as a belt loop.

I'm stuck trying to get the correct sizing for the semicircular bottom pieces on the sides of the bag

Tried to upload the Illustrator file but it wouldn't let me so I uploaded it as a pdf

If there anything I can clarify feel free to let me know. I've gained a lot of knowledge here over the past year and I would love to be able to give something back!

Belt Pouch LWUp.pdf

Edited by Wontonman

Mock it up in paper, start with the shape of the sides. After you assemble it, you can adjust the length of the back/front/flap piece to fit. It is easier to cut this shorter than adjust the side piece curve to match a pre-determined size on the main piece.

Do you a paper pattern ? I can't make heads or tails of the drawing. When I'm making the rounded corners I use washers most of the time. I cut everything out of poster board and tape together to see how it looks, if you have done that and have a picture it would help to see the problem for me anyway.

Wontonman,

You seem to be on the right track, but by using loose side pieces and incorporating the "corner" you are making it difficult on yourself.

Simply lay the side pieces in position on the rectangle - so that it forms a "butterfly" image and start stitching together from the centre.

If you can get a copy of Al Stohlmans' "Art of making leather cases Vol 1" it will explain the basics of your challenge to you.

Send me a PM if you can't find a copy...

Wontonman,

You seem to be on the right track, but by using loose side pieces and incorporating the "corner" you are making it difficult on yourself.

Simply lay the side pieces in position on the rectangle - so that it forms a "butterfly" image and start stitching together from the centre.

If you can get a copy of Al Stohlmans' "Art of making leather cases Vol 1" it will explain the basics of your challenge to you.

Send me a PM if you can't find a copy...

Thank you for recomending this book to me! my pouch is a very similar design to the playing card case on page 38. I believe i need to make a trip to Tandy to pick up a v gouge to crease the bottom of my pouch. I'll post back hopefully later today if I can make it there.