If you are using leather prep, can you use neatsfoot oil before you put the leather prep on?

Jim

Why would you want to? What effect are you trying to achieve? Seems counterintuitive to me.

I use the leather prep so the dye absorbs into the leather evenly. I feel that that the

Neatsfoot oil will soften the leather and help to absorb the dye evenly also. I may have it wrong, that is why I am asking.

If someone can explain the proper steps to take. I also have used oxalic acid to clean the leather, it becomes dry and hard, so I use the Neatsfoot oil. Do you ever run into a siltation where you use dye prep and Oxalic acid? If so, would you use the neatsfoot oil afterward? Thank you for the help.

Jim

I wipe my leather down with rubbing alcohol before dyeing to remove any glue, wax or other things that might be on the leather from my bench or from the tannery that would inpead the adsorption of the dye.

After the dye is dry or almost dry I apply a light coat of neatsfoot oil.

Oiling leather prior to dye is going to prevent it from absorbing as deeply as you might like. I'd hold off on oil until after the dye.

This get confusing, Thank you Tugadude. I have read articles that say, if you are using an oil base dye, put down a light coat of oil before you dye. If you are using spirt dye, spray a light coating of alcohol. I have tried both and I have not experienced any thing to complain about. My biggest problem is no matter what I try, I will still get some rub off. Thank all of you guys and gals for the suggestions. I would like to hear any rub off solutions.

Jim

The only thing that I have found to minimize rub off on a finished product is...buff...buff... and buff until no more dye comes off...then seal with an acrylic wax or some other sealer.

By the way are you using veg tanned leather without a finish on it???? If not this is most likely your problem...if the leather has a sealer on it the dye can not sink in until this finish is removed...alcohol will take off most finishes, but it will also dry your leather out...thus you will have to condition it.

You might also want to try Professional Oil Dye...this works pretty good.

Edited by Troy I