thunter9

Replacing Leather On Antique Desk.

has anyone here ever tried there hands at this ? Remove the wooden insert sand and glue and resand the insert. tack or toe nail it back in place. some how glue the leather on and try and be neat. I would rather put the leather on the board than set it in the frame. how am I to attach it? I'm just worried that by gluing it after I toe nail the board in, when I cut the leather on the out side edge theirs no way to get in there and burnish the edge. or am I just over thinking? I know what I want to say just not sure how to say it.

this s what I'm talking about

post-64638-0-27980700-1454907017_thumb.j

thunter, since restoration of old furniture was part of my first job this isn't so uncommon to me.

Unfortunately your picture doesn't show any detail and one can only guess how the leather is attached or inserted to the top. It may be on an extra sheet board or just glued on and the edges placed into some "grooves".

Do me a favor and pull out all drawers please. Place a light inside the cabinet so the pictures will actually be of a good quality. I would like to rule out or confirm that the leather here is just tacked in place on a plywood board, which then is placed in the gap of the top frame secured by some more boards on the bottom.

So what would help are pictures from the corner details (inside and outside of the cabinet).

If you're lucky it's as simple as this

Well I've done it one better. I've taken the hinged top off and removed the wooden insert that will be tacked in after its been cleaned of old glue and any cracks have been filled and repaired. Now after the wooden board is replaced its ready for the video. My first question is what type of leather is used and what weight. From looking at the Video it's a fairly stiff leather. What type of leather would you use?