Hey guys so I want to glue some leather together to thicken it rather than stitch it. Can glue actually keep it together properly over the long term or does it separate easily? Is there a glue likely to achieve this or is contact cement of any kind ok?

It will eventually come loose regardless of kind or brand. Stitch it after gluing, then you will have something that is permanent.

Terry

I had the same question a number of years back, . . . just for kicks and giggles, . . . I built an IWB holster for a Bersa Thunder, . . . patterned after my Cactus design.

I carried it on and off for a year or so, . . . gave it to a friend, . . . in all probability, it is a drawer ornament today, . . . but when I gave it to him, . . . it was still intact and totally functional.

I do not use glue, . . . I use Weldwood contact cement. GOOD STUFF !!!

May God bless,

Dwight

Contact cement is a glue technically, but they are a special category that bond on contact. Most glues you smear it between the pieces, clamp it into position, and wait for it to dry/cure. While you wait , you watch and make sure things do not move. The small advantage is parts are repositionable.

Contact cements, you put it on both sides and let it dry (usually 15 mins), THEN you put it together. Once it touches, its stuck. Hammer or roll it and it is stuck forever. No additional waiting.

There are various grades of contact cement. The heavy duty stuff from the hardware store is what Dwight is refering to and the stuff i also use.

Surface prep is key to a good joint. The smoother the surfaces, and the greater the wax and oil content of the leather, the higher likelihood the joint will fail.

With veg tan, a simple scufff of the surface is enough for a good bond. Waxy, oily horween stuff may need to be cleaned with alcohol or something where the glue seam is before application in addition to scuffing.

Rubbers, plastics, synthetics (including the finish on the grain of some chrome tanned fashion leather) are a different story and may require special glue or additives.

Most footwear these days are contact cemented together. They last ok.

Edited by TinkerTailor

I had the same thought a few years back, so I gave it a try. This collar(left 2" wide) is only stitched at the buckle-end and the end where the holes are. Center of collar(hornback) is only glue. Not sure if it was Barge or Wellwood from HD. But it's still holding till this day. My dogs are strong!

As of now so far, so good.

Malik

post-28387-0-70405100-1455070858_thumb.j