art23

Type Of Thread Recommended

Hello everyone Ive been sewing chaps with eit her bonded nylon 69 and bonded nylon 138. I'm just wondering if people would prefer polyester or bonded polyester. I'm also thinking of using bonded nylon 92.I'm using a consew 226. Any thoughts or comments would be great.

Bonded polyester thread is better in some applications than nylon. It has about 95% the strength of nylon, is more rot resistant to UV rays than nylon and does not stretch as much as nylon which is better for setting thread tensions. However, it may cost more than nylon thread that is comparable. I have found it to be a bout $1.00 more per spool. I have used both nylon and polyester wit h good results. On chaps, I probably would stick to nylon if it was me.

glenn

If it is ANYTHING that will be exposed to UV (e.g. sunlight) light on a regular basis, I would VERY STRONGLY encourage you to use bonded poly thread instead of nylon.

I've switched to only bonded poly on the outdoor use gear I make to ensure the items I build hold up as long as possible for my customers.

#80 and #100 cotton covered polyester jeans thread also does a great job. I use it for a variety of jobs, including most hemming on any type of pants. It is strong and very easy to tension. I get it from Wawak in a variety of colors, in both 750 yard spools and giant 6000 yard cones. I think that jeans topstitch thread would work well on chaps and vests.