Revcov

Awl Care

Ok. This may be somewhere already but my search fu is weak today. I am very new to leatherwork and purchased a Douglas awl blade. I used it a bit practicing and am about to start down projects. I don't want to mess the blade up so I need some pointers on how often to strip it or whatever else I need to know to care for it. Thanks.

Look up Nigel Armitage on youtube, Revcov. He has an excellent video on sharpening your diamond awl.

If I'm stitching anything long, I usually try to strop my blade every half hour or so. If it's just small stuff, a quick stropping before I start is good enough.

Black Dogg

I strop my awl before each use and if I am doing a holster when I get up to thread my needles for the second side I will strop it then too. I have a 10 x 3.5" pine board I mounted a piece of 4/5 oz to and loaded with rouge. I strop my razors often also. Sure as hell beats sharpening if I can keep my edges nice along the way.

Few things are more pleasurable to use than a nice sharp highly polished awl that glides through leather! :)