Spaceblues

I Need Pattern And Book Suggestions Please

Hi All,

So I'm new to leatherwork and have gone through the stuff in the Tandy kit I bought. I went on leathercraftlibrary and bought a belt pattern booklet and used a couple of those to do a belt and dog collar, but now I'm kinda stuck.

I love Sheridan and figure carving so I'd like to learn those techniques. I asked at my Tandy and the guy said leathercraftlibrary and "the Internet" are places to go find my next steps. Not real helpful. I look at YouTube from time to time but I'm not very good at being able to learn that way. It's helpful as a supplement but not as a primary source - at least for my learning style.

Are there books or patterns you recommend that would help by providing step by step instructions on these subjects? I've seen a couple of books but they seem to mainly be pictures of ideas and final results without showing a newb how to get there (technique, steps, tools used, etc.).

I'm anxious to keep learning and would love to hear your input.

Hi All,

So I'm new to leatherwork and have gone through the stuff in the Tandy kit I bought. I went on leathercraftlibrary and bought a belt pattern booklet and used a couple of those to do a belt and dog collar, but now I'm kinda stuck.

I love Sheridan and figure carving so I'd like to learn those techniques. I asked at my Tandy and the guy said leathercraftlibrary and "the Internet" are places to go find my next steps. Not real helpful. I look at YouTube from time to time but I'm not very good at being able to learn that way. It's helpful as a supplement but not as a primary source - at least for my learning style.

Are there books or patterns you recommend that would help by providing step by step instructions on these subjects? I've seen a couple of books but they seem to mainly be pictures of ideas and final results without showing a newb how to get there (technique, steps, tools used, etc.).

I'm anxious to keep learning and would love to hear your input.

I am in the same spot, I used to do leather work back in the 80's & 90's but I didn't pick up the carving & stamping (most people don't want to pay for the time & effort that is put into a good project)

now returning to the hobby I am finding that most people who have a good working knowledge of the craft have ether retired or are not willing to teach.

and tandy at least in my area is not the place to learn the craft that it used to be.

books only take you so far,

you need to find a mentor to show you the tricks of the trade if you are serious about developing your skills at carving.

most tandy's have a advertisement board where local leather workers can advertise ( I am thinking that your store might one of these) I would suggest that you might try contacting a few of the local leather crafts people and ask them to give you some feed back on your work.