J W Craftsman

Looking For Info On This Consew

I found this Consew for sale not much info with it other then it works, it's industrial, sews up to 1/2" has forward and reverse.

I have no clue about sewing machines. Any info would help. What thickness could I see with this? Can I make it a walking foot? Would it be good for making handbags?

image_zps5uxmjkei.png

image_zpsmsz4nzfj.png

image_zpsph3wpcbz.png

This machine is just like a Singer 31-15 only it has reverse.It is a great tailor ,dressmaker or for even sewing jeans.For leather you can make chaps & thin stuff but the max thickness would be around 20 oz or 5/16 of in. & that would have to be w/a different motor,that home machine motor would barely sew 1/4",take 1/2" of leather over & try it & see what happens & let them explain their false advertising to you.The value would be $150.00 for the head @ the most as you'll need a power stand w/a servo motor & should even get a reducer so there's a good $400.00 unless you can cobble up something.

This machine came up recently in another discussion. The seller falsely advertised it as being a saddle maker's machine. While it may or may not have once been in a saddlery shop, it would have only been used for sewing garments and linings.

FYI:

• Tailoring machines have shorter needles than walking foot machines, thus, cannot sew as thick into anything.
  • Tailoring machines, aka: Straight Stitch,feed material by feed dogs on the bottom, only.
  • They can be retrofitted with a roller foot conversion to sew leather vests and light chaps.
  • Cannot be converted into walking foot machines.
  • Can't handle thread heavier than bonded 92. Many can't even deal with that size of thread and max out at #69.
  • Have light duty springs for the tension and foot pressure. They will have trouble holding down leather due to its density.
  • Tend to have not so long maximum stitch length. 6 to the inch is about normal for these machines, whereas walking foot machines often sew longer than 4 to the inch.
  • Many straight stitch machines are equipped with oil pumps and must be run at very high speed to distribute the oil. Sewing slowly all the time will allow them to run dry on top and bind or even seize.
  • They excel at sewing linings used inside vests, chaps, jackets and hats.
  • They are best suited to sewing cloth.