steveleather

Cb227R Medium Weight Sewing Machine Cylinder Arm, Walking Foot

Anybody have any experience or knowledge about this machine?

I've owned one for over a year now, still learning myself but what do you need to know, I might be able to help. If not there are others on here who can definately help and I will be following.

I wanted the 3200 but realize it would be too much for thin or soft leather and fabric. I'm curious if this is a good machine for more delicate leather. I was then going to get two machines but almost seems like this is the well rounded walking machine I was looking for in the first place

I want to know its limits on both ends. If this can sew without forcing its limits two layers of 8/9 oz veg tan as well as two 1 oz layers or thinner then I'm interested in video evidence please

Edited by steveleather

I wanted the 3200 but realize it would be too much for thin or soft leather and fabric. I'm curious if this is a good machine for more delicate leather. I was then going to get two machines but almost seems like this is the well rounded walking machine I was looking for in the first place

I want to know its limits on both ends. If this can sew without forcing its limits two layers of 8/9 oz veg tan as well as two 1 oz layers or thinner then I'm interested in video evidence please

You should call Bob Kovar (Toledo Industrial), at 866-362-7397, and ask him these questions. He has these machines setup in his shop and can test them for you. He probably already knows their range of material thickness and thread handling capabilities.

I do know that the CB227R is a traditional walking foot machine, similar is basic design to the Singer 111w153 and w155. I have a long body version of this machine and use it almost daily to sew everything from a couple ounces of pigskin, to zippers in jackets, to patches on vests, to wallets and phone cases. It uses thread sizes 69, 80 (cotton/polyester jeans thread), 92 and 138 with ease. The maximum thickness it will sew through is 3/8 inch.

IHTH

I must say that the bottom material handling limit on a walking foot machine would be about 2 ounces. It is not good for sewing very thin cloth or linings. These items require a single flat foot, drop feed, tailoring machine.