Spaceblues

Covering Books

I'm still new to leatherworking and am thinking ahead about projects. We have a TON of books so I was thinking about making covers for them. For our hardbacks I'd carve the design on the cover and spine and do a slip cover I guess? I've searched and found some posts where it talks about making the leather bigger than the book. Can't remember the sizes off the top of my head.

I was thinking of using 4/5 oz veg tan for the outer cover, and use barge to glue it to 2 oz veg tan for a liner (I've got a bunch of 2 oz laying around). Or is a liner even necessary? Then I'd find some suede or something for the inner flaps. For those inner flaps do you glue them down before stitching to keep them in line? If so, what do you use?

I was also thinking of doing these for our paperbacks as well by using this instructable. http://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-binding-a-Paperback-A-New-and-Improved-Gui/?ALLSTEPS

Instead of using cardboard for the design I would carve one and dye/paint it. Any thoughts on these ideas? I've only done a few basic projects so this is all unfamiliar territory for me.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe this can help you.

post-6330-0-76788700-1458527117_thumb.jp

If you make the cover to thick or too rigid, it will rip the spine right off the book. I used 4-5 ounce vegtan for the outside and line in a soft lambskin or chrometan leather. In the same respect, the book needs to slip freely in the cover when opening to prevent the leather from grabbing and ripping off the spine and jacket as well.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try to run some tests in the next couple of weeks to see how it goes.