OnkelMorfar

Are these machines any good for my materials?

Hey all. 
Fantastic forum. Im danish and im looking for some machines to help my work. I tried to search the forums without luck. 
Its slim picking here and kinda expensive. 

Sadly I dont have much experience with sewing machines. But! .. I have found some possibilities. 

Are these models any good? .. Im sewing in 2.5, 3mm leather. 

Pfaff NDK 700 / 22
Juki MH - 486-4

Thank you! :)

Well these are high speed garment sewing machines. I´m sure they can sew leather of 3mm thickness but I´doubt you will be lucky with these machines. How much are the machines? I would not sink too much money in a garment sewing machine.

Check out this thread it may help you finding a good leather sewing machine:

Hey C

thanks. 

Its a little thin with the selections here in Denmark. But I managed to find me a old Pfaff 138. 

I tested it out and it worked perfect when i bought it. I just installed it at home and.. well.. Its probably me doing something wrong! .. But the bobbin case keeps falling out and the thread breaks. 

Anyone had the same thing happen to them? 

You probably need a new bobbin case fort he 138. Do you have a manual for the machine?

Edited by Constabulary

17 hours ago, OnkelMorfar said:

Hey C

thanks. 

Its a little thin with the selections here in Denmark. But I managed to find me a old Pfaff 138. 

I tested it out and it worked perfect when i bought it. I just installed it at home and.. well.. Its probably me doing something wrong! .. But the bobbin case keeps falling out and the thread breaks. 

Anyone had the same thing happen to them? 

Hi,

the Pfaff 138 is easy to work on and uses the same bobbincase as the Pfaff 130, 230, 260, 238, 330, 332, 362 and so on. It should be easy to find, buy or borrow another bobbincase and to test it. As usual, detailed pictures will make it easier to help.

Greets

Ralf C.

5 hours ago, Kohlrausch said:

Hi,

the Pfaff 138 is easy to work on and uses the same bobbincase as the Pfaff 130, 230, 260, 238, 330, 332, 362 and so on. It should be easy to find, buy or borrow another bobbincase and to test it. As usual, detailed pictures will make it easier to help.

Greets

Ralf C.

Yeah i got it to work. 

But the bobbincase is missing a screw. So the tension is loose. 

I might just order a new one if I cant find a replacement. 

Im looking at needles and thread. Do you have any experience on what thickness it can handle?  .. normally I sew everything by hand with a waxed thread.. But im guessing the waxed is a nono on the machines. 

You want bonded polyester thread. Most common size is #69 but it may go to #138 if you're lucky. Anything larger than that needs a heavy duty machine.

10 hours ago, dikman said:

You want bonded polyester thread. Most common size is #69 but it may go to #138 if you're lucky. Anything larger than that needs a heavy duty machine.

Thanks a bunch!